• South Beach Diet Phase 1 Menu for Vegetarians (No Egg Version)

Posted on | March 26, 2010 | 43 Comments |

I have been totally ignoring the SBD principles since our Italy trip in November and slowly a few pounds have managed to creep back in. To reset my system to get rid of those carb cravings, I am planning to get back into South Beach Diet Phase1 starting next Monday. I’ve been planning this for a while, but something always comes up and I have dropped the ball at the last minute so many times. So this time, to make sure that I will stick to my plan, I went ahead and announced it on a public forum. I have learned from experience that a public commitment is a great motivator, who wants to be known as a quitter, right? Anyway, that announcement started off a lot of discussions and a bunch of people expressed interest in going along with the ride. But the number 1 question everyone had was how to adapt this diet plan for vegetarians. In addition to this, even the ones who eats meat, fish and eggs were skeptical about eating non-veg every day. Also, many people wanted an Indian version of this diet. So I have put together a few vegetarian dishes to select from to create a menu plan for yourself. These are pure vegetarian/no-egg dishes, so depending on your own dietary restrictions, you can easily make a menu plan to include a few egg/chicken/fish dishes.

Cauli-rice – Enjoy as a substitute for rice with your favorite curries.

New to South Beach Diet? You can read the principles here.

A few reminders about Phase1.

• Phase 1 lasts for 2 weeks
    • Phase 1 is for eliminating cravings and to kick start weight loss
    • No flours, no rice, no sugar, no starch
    • Vegetables to avoid in phase 1 – potatoes, peas, carrots, butternut squash
    • Eat 5 times a day, including two snacks
    • If you absolutely must eat dessert, there are a few sugar free options
    • Have lots and lots of vegetables with every meal
    • Nuts are allowed, but limit the amount per day to the numbers listed under the snacks section
    • Lentils and chickpeas are your friends, but limit to 1/3- to 1/2-cup serving per meal
    • Light coconut milk is allowed. I haven’t seen a mention of fresh coconut anywhere, a tsp or two should be okay, if you are making a sundal, but limit the amount.
    • 2 cups of nonfat or low-fat plain yogurt is allowed per day. You can use this as a snack, for a salad dressing, as a dip/chutney etc.
    • Recommended drinks are decaf coffee and tea, but I usually have 2 regular coffees a day and it hasn’t affected me.
    • You can find my day by day meal plan and updates from the first time I went on South Beach Diet here: http://blog.sigsiv.com/category/south-beach-diet/phase-1 .

Now here is the menu. Running really light on breakfast ideas, so if you have more, do leave a comment. Thanks to everyone who contributed ideas and links. All the external links I have have many more wonderful vegetarian recipes that can be adapted for a South beach diet meal plan.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor or a nutritionist or any kind of dietary expert. SBD worked for me before, so I am merely suggesting a few ideas here. You and you alone are responsible for your health, so follow the diet at your own risk. If you run into any health related issues after following any of my recipes or my meal plan, I won’t be responsible in anyway.

Breakfast

Mid-Morning/Mid Afternoon Snacks

• Beans and Chickpea patties with a mint-yogurt sauce
    • Almonds/Cashews/Pecans/Walnuts – 15
    • Chestnuts – 6
    • Peanuts, dry roasted or boiled – 20
    • Pistachios – 30
    • Edamame, boiled/dry roasted – 1/4 cup
    • Soy Nuts – 1/4 cup
    • Laughing Cow Low fat cheese – 1 Wedge
    • Oven Roasted asparagus with lemon zest
    • Oven Roasted green beans with lemon zest
    • Plain low fat yogurt – 1 cup (Totally 2 cups of non-fat/low fat yogurt is allowed per day)
    • Raw Vegetables (Celery/bell pepper strips/broccoli/cauliflower) with Hummus
    • Raw Vegetables (Celery/bell pepper strips/broccoli/cauliflower) with Yogurt pesto

Lunch/Dinner

Sides for Lunch/Dinner

• Have generous servings of vegetables with lunch and dinner.
      A few ideas.
      • Sautéed veggies like broccoli, green beans, cauliflower etc (sauté in olive oil with shallots, garlic, crushed chilies and finish with some freshly squeezed lemon juice)
      • Pesto Green beans
      • Salads with any no-sugar dressings.
      • A couple of my favorite easy dressings:
               – fat free yogurt + dill + lemon juice + salt and pepper
               – lemon juice + extra virgin olive oil + crushed red peppers + 1 tsp agave nectar + salt

Roasted Portobello Mozzarella ‘Pizza’  Recipe

Remove the dark gills from the portobello mushroom caps and rub olive oil, salt, chopped garlic and spices over the surface. Layer sun-dried tomatoes and skim mozzarella cheese and season with spices. Bake in a 450F oven for 5 minutes till the cheese melts and mushroom softens.

Notes

• I found in my SBD book that No Flour is allowed on Phase 1, this includes Besan aka Chickpea flour and all nut flours. The process of making the flour increases the GI. So I haven’t added any besan based recipes here.
    • To be successful in Phase1, you have to plan ahead. Make ahead as many things as you can over the weekend. Prep vegetables, wash the salad greens etc.
    • If you somehow fall off the wagon along the way, just get right back on. Don’t quit.
    • Lots of beans means lots of gas. Read my earlier post for a few tips to reduce/eliminate this.

Good luck! I will post my meal plan (with lots of fish and meat and eggs) in a couple of days. In the meantime, you can check out my existing recipes by clicking on South Beach Diet on the top menu.

Category: For Vegetarians, Phase 1

Baked Pesto Chicken

Baked Pesto Chicken

January 24th, 2011

I just got back from a weekend of total binge in Portland with four foodies, where we consumed e[...]

Roasted Zucchini Salad with a Dill-Garlic-Mayo Dressing

Roasted Zucchini Salad with a Dill-Garlic-Mayo Dressing

September 24th, 2010

Zucchini is a vegetable that I don’t have strong feelings about, neither a fan, nor a hater. Bu[...]

Spicy Eggplant Raita

Spicy Eggplant Raita

September 22nd, 2010

Anybody who has had any kind of exposure to Indian cuisine must be familiar with the term Raita. R[...]

Sautéed Romanesco Cauliflower with Pine Nuts and Garlic

Sautéed Romanesco Cauliflower with Pine Nuts and Garlic

September 21st, 2010

As promised, I am continuing the SBD friendly vegetarian sides series with a simple sautéed veg[...]

Kidney Beans and Chard in Coconut Milk

Kidney Beans and Chard in Coconut Milk

September 19th, 2010

A lot of people I know are under the assumption that dieting is all about sacrificing good food an[...]

Comments

43 Responses to “South Beach Diet Phase 1 Menu for Vegetarians (No Egg Version)”

1. nags
      March 26th, 2010 @ 1:44 am

u are getting me really excited now. thinking of doing this very soon. have to prep first.

2. Nina
      March 26th, 2010 @ 2:07 am

Hi, I am a regular here and been a silent admirer of your skills. Just a word of caution on SBD. It is pretty good and effective, and I do it once a year. (Phase 1).

I am no doctor myself, but my BIL is. Apparently the only caution is that if you have protein rich food without much of carbs, it affects your kidney. So just be careful not to be too high on protein (like egg, lentils etc.) Just thought of mentioning this ….

Good luck :-)

• shweta
        December 21st, 2011 @ 9:54 am

hey thanks… im just abt to begin…wil keep in mind wat u said…

3. Sra
      March 26th, 2010 @ 5:17 am

best of luck!

4. Bong Mom
      March 26th, 2010 @ 5:39 am

Besan ka Cheela for breakfast (http://www.bongcookbook.com/2009/04/besan-ka-cheela-and-pepper-shrimp.html) — easy, quick and tasty

Also is Semolina allowed ? I saw semolina cakes at RedChillis, should that be ok ?

Flours are not allowed in Phase1, including Besan. And no semolina either in phase 1.
      -Sig

March 26th, 2010 @ 5:51 am

Great tips! Good luck with the SBD plan, girl!

On a related note, no peas and carrots, sigh :( . I literally graze on carrots..

March 26th, 2010 @ 7:33 am

Oh, thank you for putting together this plan Sig! It’ll come handy. I wanted my m-i-l who’s a vegetarian to try SBD last year but I was quite clueless when it came to the menu plan. I highly recommend this soup: Lebanese Lentil-Swiss Chard Soup.

http://www.ivu.org/recipes/westasia/swiss.html (omit the potatoes for Phase 1; I add cumin powder to the soup)

7. Srivalli
      March 26th, 2010 @ 9:22 am

Menu sounds interesting Sig, I am on something very similar..but can’t call it SBD,…:)

8. Radhika Vasanth
      March 26th, 2010 @ 9:37 am

You are such a darling Sig..Muaaah. God bless you for sharing this information with all of us. The link that says ‘the principles here’ doesn’t seem to work, it gives me a 404 page error. I guess it is pointing to a wrong page.

Sorry about the link. Fixed now.
      -Sig

9. mallugirl
      March 26th, 2010 @ 10:23 am

tough phase to be in good luck.. try quinoa upma/stirfry for breakfast.

Quinoa is not allowed in Phase 1, no grains are.
      -Sig

10. Anu
      March 26th, 2010 @ 1:20 pm

Thanks for this, Sig. I want to mention that I was getting severe breathlessness at night (I am not asthmatic) and I stopped taking splenda and other 0-cal desserts and it stopped. But the phase definitely helped me get rid of sugar cravings.Also I loved eating stuffed mushrooms (stuff it with low fat mozzarella cheese, garlic, spring onions and bake it) and also stuffed zucchini (stuffed with onione, tomato etc subzi and baked with cheese on top). Good luck!

11. Rina
      March 27th, 2010 @ 7:46 am

Thanks for this wonderful post Sig..I have been on SBD last year for two to three months and managed to lose 17.5 lbs..I had to stop it coz I wanted to plan my last born before I hit 35 this may..Now since its two months the baby is born, wanted to start SBD again..and this post makes it simple..though i have my own SBD plans ready..its always nice to have this info..

March 29th, 2010 @ 1:00 am

Good luck :)

13. nandita
      March 29th, 2010 @ 4:41 am

This is really good work Sig! I have put on a couple of pounds – need to get on something similar when I’m back from vacations :) Thanks for summing it all up for us vegetarians

14. Deepa
      March 29th, 2010 @ 7:58 am

Awesome Sig!!! I am going to try and join you on this one. I can manage without sugar/flour but I need fruits which satisfies my sugar craving.Dont know how I am going to live without that -I am a lttile worried that I wont be able to work properly if I dont get any sugar.Let me try to give this a shot anyway. I am exactly where you were when you started SBD the first time..So that’s a real inspiration..
      Also no milk/yoghurt etc. is allowed here is it? I dont like cheese and I am not a big fan of fish/chicken..so have to pretty much make the adais/pesarattu etc. I guess.

A fellow mallu:)

Milk and Yogurt is allowed in SBD – 2 cups of nonfat or low-fat plain yogurt or milk per day.
      -Sig

15. Lakshmi
      March 30th, 2010 @ 6:41 am

Sig, big thanks for this. I have never been on a diet before (atleast never was successful in lasting). I want to try it hard this month…coz I reallllly want to lose few lbs before my Aruba vacation in May.
      Good luck to you.

16. Lissy
      April 2nd, 2010 @ 5:45 am

I love your blog! It is extremely well done. Good luck with the diet! I have cut out sugar and wheat; The fruit will be next.
      I love the recipes and photos you have on here as well- everything is beautifully done!

17. Aparna
      April 12th, 2010 @ 7:36 pm

Lots of luck with the diet plan. This looks like what I should do (maybe), but can’t really see myself living on veggies and beans for 2 weeks.
      Wonder if I can do it, though.

18. Denita
      April 17th, 2010 @ 7:09 am

My boyfriend and I started on the SBD on February 1 this year. He has lost around 30 lbs and I have lost about 16. What we noticed, is that we would stay on plan and our loss would stall, but if when went off plan(slightly)for a meal or two a week we would start seeing the weight drop again.
      Now everyone is different, of course, but for us this is not only easier on our cravings but has actually reinforced that this isn’t just a diet but a life style change that we expect to stick with. We are not vegetarians but we have learned to love lots of veggies, only eat the whole grain breads and pastas in moderation and stick with white meats (chicken/turkey breasts, pork loin)and light(lower fat)dairy products…

For those that are on phase one….salads are awesome but you don’t have to have the traditional lettuce salad. Try mixing your favorite raw veggies together with your favorite dressing that has 3g of sugar or less per 1oz (2 tbsp)serving. Ken’s light Northern Italian and light Caesar is great and flavorful. Roast everything if you want hot flavorful veggies and learn how to use spices.

A side note: After doing this for more then two months now we decided to splurge and get our favorite fast-food burger and found out just how horrible it was. The next night we had baked salmon and were in heaven. Your taste buds have changed for the better.

Good luck everyone.

19. Gayathri
      April 18th, 2010 @ 4:56 pm

Hey Sig, yet to go through the whole page, but can you quickly give me an alternative to TOFU, just dont seem to like it, how about Soya Chunks?

20. Anshu
      June 3rd, 2010 @ 10:45 am

Does any one know if unsweetned almond milk is allowed in Phase 1 of SB diet.

21. Tanvi
      August 17th, 2010 @ 9:57 am

wonderful post..
      thank you so much…i am a new SBDer and reffering to your blog as my main reference..so far so 1 week gone and lost 4 lbs…
      but i am getting these side effects too..like constipation …
      embarrasing i know…

anyone got any advice?
      i m looking 4 some natural solution (no pills)..thanks..

22. Kathleen
      January 7th, 2011 @ 2:11 pm

Isn’t Quinoa actually a seed – on that basis, i would expect it would be premitted in phase one isn limited quatities?

23. razi kapoor
      February 22nd, 2011 @ 1:12 am

hi i just started with sbd can i eat moong dal pan cake[chilla]? is lentil pancake allowed?

24. coach company london
      May 5th, 2011 @ 9:30 am

bus hire london With havin so much content and articles do you ever run into any issues of plagorism or copyright infringement? My website has a lot of completely unique content I’ve either created myself or outsourced but it seems a lot of it is popping it up all over the internet without my agreement. Do you know any methods to help prevent content from being ripped off? I’d certainly appreciate it.

25. Diana
      June 5th, 2011 @ 1:54 pm

Thank you so much. am vegetarian 3 years now. did SBD 2 yrs ago, but their website vegetarian dishes kinda boring. yours are excellent, as I love Indian cooking and now have more spices in my cabinet. am excited to try again, now with more flavor. thank you so much.

26. Pari
      August 31st, 2012 @ 1:52 pm

This is wonderful! thanks for making this readily available for us. I was wondering- by any chance, do you have veg version of Phase 2, 3, 4 as well?
      Thanks!

27. Anonymous
      September 1st, 2012 @ 10:55 am

Hi there! I coulԁ have swοrn I’ve been to your blog before but after browsing through some of the articles I realized it’s new to me.
      Regаrԁless, I’m certainly delighted I came across it and I’ll
      be bookmаrking it and checκing back oftеn!

28. emily
      February 10th, 2013 @ 6:36 pm

I started the sbd a week ago and I lost 6lbs im very happy with this diet but my question is how many eggs can I eat on this diet

29. Pooja
      March 16th, 2013 @ 3:40 pm

Amazing – thanks so much for the Indian veggie low carb recipes! Will be making some dal pancakes tomorrow, lol!

30. sita
      November 15th, 2013 @ 5:42 am

Hi,

Your Blog is a dream come true ! Thank you for finding time and effort to put it up for people like us who are facing similar problems.

I went off the SBD and my weight slowly made an appearance. I know that no diet can and has had a real effect on me. But am a vegetarian most of the item and re-starting the SBD was painful because of the méat option.

Am now fully charged and ready to face it again … but with the help of your blog.

31. Johna456
      May 24th, 2014 @ 8:42 pm

Magnificent site. Plenty of useful information here. I’m sending it to some friends ans additionally sharing in delicious. And certainly, thanks in your sweat! edagefdcdcak

32. uma singh
      October 5th, 2014 @ 9:31 am

Hi! Thanks for the information. Since i m a vegetarian..I was looking for a diet in vegetarian option..I have 45 days to go for my sister wedding and I have a target of losing 5 KGS..let’s see…I m gonna start it from tom and post by experience