• Chickpea Flour Pizza – South Beach Diet Friendly

Posted on | October 13, 2009 | 35 Comments |

I made this eons ago, but never posted the recipe as the picture didn’t look all that appetizing. Today while hunting through the drafts for my next post I realized that I only had chicken dishes in there. I am sure you guys have had a chicken overload by now, so I had to get this one out to give you a break from all that cluck cluck. Don’t let the lackluster picture and those burned edges deceive you, this is a great way to have pizza on South Beach Diet. As you know chickpea flour is a very SBD friendly low Glycemic index ingredient. This recipe was inspired by Soma’s Farinata with Grilled Vegetables. I am not sure whether to call this a pizza or a flat bread or a pancake with toppings. But I am going to go with pizza as that sounds the best. Feel free to call it whatever you like.

Even though the base is supposed to be a diet-alternative, to be frank I really enjoyed the taste and texture of the chickpea flour base. Even more so than some of the non-diet pizza bases I must say. Normally for me the pizza base is just something that holds all the topping goodness together, but this one actually adds a nice character to the pizza. Only problem was that it got a bit soft and soggy, so we had to use a fork and knife to eat it. But if you think about it, many thin crust pizzas and flat breads served in restaurants have the same issue too. Chickpea Pizza

This recipe is all about the base,you can use any sauce and toppings of your choice. I used some basil-almond pesto and mushrooms, spinach, roaster peppers, mozzarella and sausage as the toppings.

(For two pizzas, serves 4)

• 1 cup chickpea flour (besan, available in Indian and Middle eastern stores and natural food markets)
    • 1 1/4 cups water
    • 1.5 tbsp + 1 tbsp olive oil
    • 1 tbsp mixed herbs (I used herbs de Provence)
    • 1 tsp salt
    • fresh ground pepper to taste

Toppings

• 3 tbsp pesto
    • 1/2 cup sauteed mushrooms
    • 1/2 cup steamed spinach
    • 1 large sausage, casings removed, sliced and sauteed
    • 1 cup roasted red bell peppers, cut into strips
    • 1/2 cup mozzarella slices

Mix the chickpea flour with water and salt and whisk till there are no lumps in the mixture. Keep it aside for 2-4 hours. Skim off the foam from the top surface of the batter. Now mix in the olive oil, herbs and the pepper.

Pre-heat the oven to 450F. Heat up a round cast iron pan or an oven proof non-stick skillet in the pre-heated oven for about 10 minutes. Coat the bottom of the pan with 1 tbsp olive oil. Pour the batter evenly to form a base of desired thickness.

Return the pan to the oven and bake for about 20-25 minutes depending on the thickness.

Alternatively you can do this on the stove top like Soma did

Once the base is cooked through and have a nice golden brown color, remove from the oven. Spread the pesto evenly on top of the pizza. Now arrange the sauteed ingredients and finally top with the mozzarella slices. You can add some freshly ground pepper. I used some spicy seasonings while sauteing the mushrooms and sausage, so I didn’t bother adding anymore pepper here.

Set the oven to broil-high and return the pizza to the oven. Heat for 2-3 minutes under the broiler till the cheese is melted and starts to brown a bit.

Serve hot. It is quite filling. One pizza was enough for two of us for dinner.

South Bead Diet Suggestion

Since chickpea is allowed in SBD phase 1, I had this pizza in phase 1. But I have been reading lately that no flours are allowed in phase 1. So if you are a strict SBD follower, have this in phase 2 and later. But if you are the type who likes to rewrite a few rules while following a diet like me, feel free to have this in phase 1.

Category: Phase 1, Pizzas and Flatbreads, South Beach Diet Friendly

Baked Pesto Chicken

Baked Pesto Chicken

January 24th, 2011

I just got back from a weekend of total binge in Portland with four foodies, where we consumed e[...]

Roasted Zucchini Salad with a Dill-Garlic-Mayo Dressing

Roasted Zucchini Salad with a Dill-Garlic-Mayo Dressing

September 24th, 2010

Zucchini is a vegetable that I don’t have strong feelings about, neither a fan, nor a hater. Bu[...]

Spicy Eggplant Raita

Spicy Eggplant Raita

September 22nd, 2010

Anybody who has had any kind of exposure to Indian cuisine must be familiar with the term Raita. R[...]

Sautéed Romanesco Cauliflower with Pine Nuts and Garlic

Sautéed Romanesco Cauliflower with Pine Nuts and Garlic

September 21st, 2010

As promised, I am continuing the SBD friendly vegetarian sides series with a simple sautéed veg[...]

Kidney Beans and Chard in Coconut Milk

Kidney Beans and Chard in Coconut Milk

September 19th, 2010

A lot of people I know are under the assumption that dieting is all about sacrificing good food an[...]

Comments

35 Responses to “Chickpea Flour Pizza – South Beach Diet Friendly”

1. Kelly
      October 13th, 2009 @ 11:28 am

Nice recipe. I know I have some chickpea flour kicking around the kitchen somewhere (Reminds herself to FINALLY organize the pantry). My boyfriend is doing a Palieo diet and isn’t eating a lot of refined grains so I’ll have to see if this is something he might be interested in eating.

October 13th, 2009 @ 11:58 am

Don’t you worry about chicken overload, keep those recipes coming! And this pic doesn’t look lacklustre to me at all. I’ve read about egg-less omelettes made with besan. So, I guess, this can also be called besan frittata. Trust you to add sausage to a besan recipe!

3. SuperChef
      October 13th, 2009 @ 12:10 pm

im sure gonna make this. We have been trying out some SBD recipes lately, ever since i got the SBD cookbook from the library.This one definitely is a great addition to it.

4. Soma
      October 13th, 2009 @ 12:22 pm

Next time I will make your version. Pesto sounds good.with the cheese & the sausage, now it sounds exactly like a pizza, but more healthy. I think it would be less soggy if each slice is individually topped just before eating.

I have another version ( in the blog too), which I had made in the oven. Try flipping it over & cooking the other side crisp too, may be it will be less soggy.

Sig, don’t stop the chickens from coming!

5. elra
      October 13th, 2009 @ 2:49 pm

Definitely must try recipe, I am looking for gluten free recipe lately. So this one will be on trial soon.,

6. hb
      October 13th, 2009 @ 4:21 pm

I don’t find anything wrong with the picture. Even if we aren’t following SBD, this recipe sounds good :)

October 13th, 2009 @ 10:45 pm

oh i do like this recipe it’s a great variation and a lot lighter than the real stuff. i need to get me a bag of chickpea flour now!

8. Miri
      October 13th, 2009 @ 10:48 pm

Whats wrong with more chicken recipes!! I, for one, am always looking for newer ideas and there are only so many blogs which do these posts!

The chickpea flour base seems like such a good idea!!

Miri

October 13th, 2009 @ 11:52 pm

Hey Sig, so many possibilities with this. Why should’d you try a chickpea flour dosa with all the stuffings ? Would have eaten a crispier and softer wrap too. Thanks for the wonderful idea!

10. Sunita
      October 14th, 2009 @ 1:29 am

Sig, this looks wonderful; great idea to use the chickpea flour. If only I had some right now, would have made it straight away!

11. nags
      October 14th, 2009 @ 1:32 am

wow! that’s a superb idea, really! and the pic is just fine Sig :)

12. notyet100
      October 15th, 2009 @ 10:34 am

yummy pizza,…

13. Thas
      October 15th, 2009 @ 5:44 pm

sounds interesting and way too healthy:)
      Do visit my new blog when u get time:
      Thas

14. Miri
      October 18th, 2009 @ 8:17 pm

Wishing you a very Happy Diwali!

Miri

15. Kay
      October 19th, 2009 @ 12:59 am

Sounds GREAT, Sig!! Will give this a try when I get back to TO.

October 21st, 2009 @ 6:06 am

I often see ‘vegetarian omelette’ or ‘tomato omelette’ on menus – heard they were made with besan too!

17. cheffresco
      October 22nd, 2009 @ 5:03 pm

I think it looks delicious! I’ve never heard of chickpea powder. Lovely creation!

October 29th, 2009 @ 11:20 pm

This is like the besan cheela I had for breakfast when I was on this diet… the pizza idea sounds great :)

How have you been?

19. Ash Thomas
      October 30th, 2009 @ 2:10 am

Its been 2 weeks since u posted any recipes. I sincerely hope everything is well at ur end.

November 5th, 2009 @ 7:53 pm

Thanks for checking on me Ash! I am fine, just been a bit busy at work. :)

20. manju
      November 2nd, 2009 @ 3:16 pm

i tried the pizza just now and its yummy and delicious

November 5th, 2009 @ 7:53 pm

Thanks for the feedback Manju! Glad you liked it.

21. Kit Lee
      November 6th, 2009 @ 6:53 am

I like the recipe but i think when somebody talk about pizza i personally never thought about chickpea flour pizza. I am on diet and i found an interesting site http://www.pizzafree.com which offer fat free frozen cheese pizza which has only 0gms of fat and only 248 calorie.You can create your own topping as you wish.

22. Vijitha Shyam
      November 17th, 2009 @ 4:27 pm

Hey Sig!
      Hope you are having a gr8 vacation.
      Just a quick question to you. Can we include oat meal in south beach diet Phase 1?

23. realvegan4life
      May 21st, 2010 @ 2:27 pm

seems good minus the mozarella…

24. replica louboutin sandals
      June 28th, 2010 @ 5:57 pm

it looks delicious

25. Lee
      March 21st, 2011 @ 9:58 am

Great…this opens up many a various ‘pizza idea thoughts’…glad you posted this!!!

26. hundemat ingredienser
      December 6th, 2011 @ 3:59 am

I’m no longer sure the place you are getting your info, however good topic. I must spend a while learning more or figuring out more. Thank you for excellent info I used to be in search of this information for my mission.

27. Jaraaboxill
      January 14th, 2013 @ 2:22 am

You can buy shoe lifts for gait patterns correct on-line
      shoe lifts

28. Jaraaboxill
      January 15th, 2013 @ 10:33 am

The softness of your heel Lifts can also be important to think about
      shoe lifts

29. men's shoes
      July 29th, 2014 @ 5:08 am

It’s going to be finish of mine day, but before finish I am reading this wonderful post to increase my know-how.

30. http://northyorkcondos.weebly.com
      November 13th, 2014 @ 5:52 pm

I know this website provides quality based posts and extra material,
      is there any other website which offers these kinds of data in quality?

31. Gerardo
      November 13th, 2014 @ 7:52 pm

I do not know if it’s just me or if perhaps everyone else experiencing issues with your blog.
      It appears as if some of the text within your posts are running off the screen. Can someone else please comment and
      let me know if this is happening to them too? This could be a issue with my browser because
      I’ve had this happen previously. Cheers

32. http://indianrajneet.com/
      December 11th, 2014 @ 9:28 am

Good post. I learn something totally new and challenging on blogs I stumbleupon on a daily basis.

It’s always useful to read through articles from other writers and practice something from other sites.