• Jalapeno Cornbread

Posted on | August 9, 2009 | 34 Comments |

I’ve been looking for the perfect Jalapeno Cornbread recipe for a while now. I think I finally found The One! After looking around the web for a while, I finally settled on Michael Ruhlman’s recipe and after a couple of trials with some minor tweaks, I finally have a recipe that we love.  It’s sweet, it’s spicy, it’s soft inside and a little crispy outside, it’s perfect!

jalapenocornbread

Jalapeno Cornbread

(Based on Ruhlman’s Jalapeno Cornbread recipe)

• 3/4 cup cornmeal (I used Bob’s Red Mill Organic Medium Grind)
    • 1/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour
    • 1 tsp baking powder
    • 1/2 tsp salt
    • 2 tbsp sugar
    • 3/4 cup low fat milk
    • 1 large egg
    • 2 oz butter, melted and cooled
    • 1 heaped cup frozen sweet yellow corn
    • 2 large jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In a large bowl, mix together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.

In another bowl, beat the egg and stir in the milk and butter, whisk well to combine.

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir well to combine. Finally stir in the jalapeno’s and sweet corn.

Butter an oven proof loaf pan or cake tin or a cast iron skillet and pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for about 30 minutes till a skewer inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean.

Serve warm.

Category: Baked Goods, Corn

Whole Wheat Caramelized Pear and Walnut Upside Down Cake

Whole Wheat Caramelized Pear and Walnut Upside Down Cake

January 7th, 2010

Yay, I finally baked a cake! And it felt great! Now I kinda understand what they mean when people sa[...]

Jalapeno Cornbread

Jalapeno Cornbread

August 9th, 2009

I've been looking for the perfect Jalapeno Cornbread recipe for a while now. I think I finally found[...]

Mango Muffins

Mango Muffins

July 5th, 2009

Hope everyone had a fun and safe weekend! We stayed in town this long weekend and celebrated the hol[...]

Chicken and Baby Corn Fried Rice

Chicken and Baby Corn Fried Rice

December 5th, 2008

I love December! Everyone is in a jolly good mood all the time, not much's happening at work, too ma[...]

Whole Wheat Banana Walnut Bread

Whole Wheat Banana Walnut Bread

December 2nd, 2008

After a successful Banana Walnut Muffin experiment, I wanted to get a bit more creative on the bakin[...]

Comments

34 Responses to “Jalapeno Cornbread”

1. elra
      August 9th, 2009 @ 6:46 pm

OMG, this is just pop out, and I feel so tempted to make it. Look really delish Sig!

2. nags
      August 9th, 2009 @ 6:50 pm

Sig, if and when we meet, get me a bunch of Jalapenos. I want nothing else, just this. Ok?

3. rachel
      August 9th, 2009 @ 6:57 pm

Most cornbread recipes have failed me. Hope this works for me too!

4. Aparna
      August 9th, 2009 @ 8:14 pm

Like Rachel said, I haven’t been too happy with the way my corn bread turned out the few times I made them. :( Maybe has something to do with the cornmeal we get here.

Yours looks lovely. And from your description sounds just like I would like it. Think I should give this cornbread a try.

August 9th, 2009 @ 10:22 pm

It looks nice and moist, reminds me of a frittata

August 9th, 2009 @ 11:11 pm

A perfect loaf! Spicy enough to become a great brunch with your chuppal curry!

August 9th, 2009 @ 11:15 pm

funny i was looking at a recipe for corn bread yesterday and here you are with a fantastic one. sig you are my heroine!

8. arundati
      August 9th, 2009 @ 11:17 pm

looks fabulous!!

9. Arch
      August 9th, 2009 @ 11:21 pm

Looks perfect ! One small basic question here..is cornmeal the ‘makai ka atta’ that you get in India ? I have a batch of that and my makai rotis have failed miserably…I’d love to try this, but need to figure if that is the cornmeal you are talking about !

10. Hb
      August 10th, 2009 @ 2:44 am

I don’t know how HOT those jalapenos are but I would want to just bite into that :D

11. Soma
      August 10th, 2009 @ 5:47 am

FantastiC! This weekend we went Mexican & got served a 3″ tiny jalapeno corn bread loaf, it was the cutest & the best part of my meal. how perfect that you posted a recipe today!

12. Sunshinemom
      August 10th, 2009 @ 9:20 am

That looks so good:). Good enough to gobble!

13. Juliana
      August 10th, 2009 @ 2:21 pm

I think you found the perfect one! Looks so yummie, actually I have all the ingredients at home and I am really tempt to try it! Looks very yummie!

14. varsha
      August 10th, 2009 @ 2:41 pm

That looks wow Sig..perfect..!

15. Siri
      August 10th, 2009 @ 3:25 pm

I love the first pic. :grin: :grin: looks so delish!

Siri

16. cheffresco
      August 10th, 2009 @ 4:18 pm

This is a great looking jalapeno cornbread recipe! Nice find!

17. Manasi
      August 10th, 2009 @ 5:34 pm

Looks perfect! I have cornmeal but never tried cornbread, just too scared of baking! Will give this a try when I go back to Los Angeles! Thanx!

18. sathya sankar
      August 10th, 2009 @ 5:45 pm

Delicious cornbread sig !

19. Pooja
      August 10th, 2009 @ 6:07 pm

OOOhhh wow that is an awesome corn bread! I’m yet to make cornbread and this goes to the top of the list!

20. spice and more
      August 10th, 2009 @ 8:09 pm

That looks fantastic Sig…I would love to eat a nice warm slice of that right now… :razz:

21. nisha
      August 11th, 2009 @ 2:20 am

sig,
      Im a total sucker for anything made with jalapeƱos and the sad part is…its very rare supermarkets have them. If im lucky i find it at the local market and then i go gaga. Nice recipe. shall try it out the next time i find em:)

22. Srivalli
      August 11th, 2009 @ 8:54 pm

Looks great sig…must have been great to bite into!

23. Parita
      August 12th, 2009 @ 2:00 am

Looks heavenly! i too was looking for a cornbread recipe..thanks!

24. A&N
      August 12th, 2009 @ 5:24 am

Next time, add some cheddar :D and watch how you will want to make it everyday!

25. susan from food blogga
      August 12th, 2009 @ 5:40 pm

I have never met a cornbread I didn’t like. :)
      Hope you’re doing well, Sig!

26. Divya Vikram
      August 14th, 2009 @ 7:11 pm

I have tried making jalapeno cheese bread. This sounds delicious with the addition of corn!

27. Pravs
      August 15th, 2009 @ 3:36 am

This was fav cornbread i would look out in the bakery section in new orleans. That bread had chedder cheese too i think.Great to see the recipe now. Looks sumptuous !

28. Linda
      September 20th, 2009 @ 12:22 pm

I actually made this last night. I used poblano chiles from the garden instead of the jalapenos because some of the people I was fixing it for don’t fancy hot stuff.

I put an iron skillet in the oven and heated it as I mixed the bread. Then I added a dollop of bacon grease and melted it before I added the batter. (Good Southern cooking)

It only took 20 minutes to perfection.

29. SM
      February 9th, 2010 @ 3:05 pm

Hi,

Thanks a ton for your recipe. I tried it today and it came out beautifully.

30. Diana
      April 9th, 2010 @ 10:20 pm

Great recipe! I tried it out tonight and we loved it! We are at altitude (5000′) so I added an extra 1/4 tsp of baking soda and a tiny bit more salt. I also used whole milk, and the result was very rich and moist. I heated our convection oven to 425 degrees and preheated the baking pan with a tablespoon or so of bacon fat in it, then baked for 20 minutes. Perfect! Crispy, moist, sweet and spicy. Didn’t even need butter on it! Thanks so much!

• al booige
        June 30th, 2011 @ 2:41 pm

The change to whole and added bacon fat completes it. Great recipe. Add cold glass of eggnog and your good to go!!!

31. Leon Wilson
      May 3rd, 2011 @ 4:59 pm

I tried sourdough bread befor, but jalopeno cornbread taste so good, you will stop making regular cornbread. I never triedit with the cheese yet.

32. KLK
      April 19th, 2012 @ 5:48 pm

You are right, this is the perfect jalapeno cornbread! I always follow the recipe except for replacing frozen corn with canned “mexi-corn” and I cook it until it looks golden all over. Thanks!