• Mango Muffins

Posted on | July 5, 2009 | 20 Comments |

Hope everyone had a fun and safe weekend! We stayed in town this long weekend and celebrated the holidays with friends. I had way too much food and way too many drinks that I could go a couple of days without any food.  Not that I am going to! I even tried to make some extra food to last us through the middle of the week. These muffins were meant to be breakfast for this week, but they disappeared before the weekend was over.

Siv frowned at the idea of Mango muffins, he didn’t want me to waste precious mangoes. For him mangoes are meant to be eaten as is, why spoil perfection? Well, I do agree with him to a certain extent, but sometimes a girl’s gotta have some variety in life. I am glad I stuck to my ground, because these turned out wonderful! I don’t know if Siv agrees with me, at least he didn’t complain while munching down a couple of these daily with his morning coffee. Next time I would double the amount of mangoes. I only used one mango this time, but the ingredient list has two listed, I am sure that would make it even better!

mango muffins

(For 6 large muffins or 12 mini muffins)

• 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
    • 1/2 cup unbleached all purpose flour
    • 1/2 tbsp baking powder
    • 1/4 tsp baking soda
    • 1/4 tsp salt
    • 2 tbsp poppy seeds
    • 1 tsp ginger grated
    • 2 ripe mangoes chopped
    • 2 tbsp honey
    • 1 large egg
    • 3/4 cup Greek yogurt
    • 5 tbsp butter, softened
    • Vegetable cooking spray for greasing the muffin tins

Preheat the oven to 375°F.

Line muffin tins with paper liners or grease with vegetable oil.

Whisk the flours, baking powder, baking soda, poppy seeds and salt in a medium bowl and keep aside.

In a large bowl, break the egg and beat well. Mix in the softened butter, honey and yogurt and whisk well to combine.

Add the dry ingredients and mix until just incorporated. With a wooden spoon, stir in the chopped mangoes and grated ginger.

Fill the prepared cups two-thirds full.  Bake for 30-35 minutes. Muffins are done when a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean. Transfer to a rack to cool.

These muffins are my entry for the Mango Mela hosted by Srivalli of Cooking for All Seasons.

Category: Baked Goods, Breakfast and Brunch, Mango

January 29th, 2012

Before I get to the food part of the post, I would like to share a very important cause - a fund[...]

Brunch – Swiss Chard Frittata

Brunch - Swiss Chard Frittata

August 27th, 2011

I know it is not much to look at, but trust me it is one tasty brunch. I wasn't really planning [...]

Spinach and Cheese Egg Muffins – South Beach Diet Phase 1 Breakfast

Spinach and Cheese Egg Muffins - South Beach Diet Phase 1 Breakfast

September 11th, 2010

While breakfast is the most important meal, it is the most difficult meal too, especially if you[...]

Whole Wheat Caramelized Pear and Walnut Upside Down Cake

Whole Wheat Caramelized Pear and Walnut Upside Down Cake

January 7th, 2010

Yay, I finally baked a cake! And it felt great! Now I kinda understand what they mean when people sa[...]

Weekend Brunch – Sweet Potato and Sausage Hash with Fried Egg and Garlic Green Chili Aioli

Weekend Brunch - Sweet Potato and Sausage Hash with Fried Egg and Garlic Green Chili Aioli

September 13th, 2009

If I had to pick my favorite meal of the day, I'd pick brunch without giving it a second thought. It[...]

Comments

20 Responses to “Mango Muffins”

1. Soma
      July 5th, 2009 @ 5:34 pm

;-) yeah drinks & mangoes, & we are still eating leftovers; :-)
      same in my house.. the precious mangoes are meant to be eaten just fresh… but i do manage to do things once in a while. The muffins sounds really fancy & i would eat them like dessert!

July 5th, 2009 @ 6:07 pm

Good to see you baking Sig :) Especially Mango stuff! Yumm

3. elra
      July 5th, 2009 @ 6:13 pm

Intriguing recipe Sig! Look deeeelish!

4. Miri
      July 5th, 2009 @ 8:20 pm

Cool – I am arm deep in mangoes right now (the market is flooded with Safedas, Chausas, Dasehris – whats a girl got to do but by half a kilo of each!) ;)

So , I dont mind sparing a couple for muffins – especially such moist looking ones! though like Siv I tend to prefer eating mangoes just like that – preferably without cutting :)

5. Arch
      July 5th, 2009 @ 8:23 pm

Mmmmmm, looks lovely…I tried a mango cake once and used ginger in it…tasted really good !!

6. Ann
      July 5th, 2009 @ 8:27 pm

Mangoes everywhere..Sig they looks so delicious..As you said its long ingredeint list..haha.but the poppy seeds,ginger grated…truly yummy.

July 5th, 2009 @ 8:39 pm

I am with Siv. I tried to make several dishes out of mangoes after drooling on so many blog posts around. But I am left with just the other ingredients I piled up exept for the hero the mangoes as I ate them all. These muffins looks delicious. Now its time here to good bye to mangoes until next season.

July 5th, 2009 @ 9:29 pm

Sig, your muffins look yummy. Of course, we too love our mangoes as they are, but ad you said, a girl needs variety :-)

July 5th, 2009 @ 10:18 pm

i will have mangoes in any way and i love this especially the addition of poppy seeds!

10. SuperChef
      July 5th, 2009 @ 10:42 pm

yeah, it is difficult to use mangoes in a recipe when you get so little of the really good ones here and all you wanna do is to just eat them! but these muffins look totally delicious and im sure you are glad you made them :)

11. Parita
      July 5th, 2009 @ 10:51 pm

Mango muffins look grt especially with ginger, poppy seeds and honey, unique one!

12. rajitha
      July 6th, 2009 @ 4:40 am

you have become quite a baker siggy :) …i would have never thought of mango muffins tho…i have seen them around….but i am like siv..more of a straight up kinda gal..unless it is mango milkshake…yummy!!

13. Trupti
      July 6th, 2009 @ 5:31 am

muffins looks delicious & perfect..easy to make

Trupti

14. cheffresco
      July 6th, 2009 @ 5:40 am

Never had mango muffins, although these look delicious!

15. Bong Mom
      July 6th, 2009 @ 6:04 am

ahhhhhhhhh so you are bitten by the baking bug too. Lovely muffins

16. Rina
      July 6th, 2009 @ 6:59 am

Love the idea of mango muffins…they moist and delicoius..

17. Poornima
      July 6th, 2009 @ 1:15 pm

Now this is something I’m gonna try for sure, love anything with mango. Great muffins.

18. Aparna
      July 7th, 2009 @ 4:00 am

You’re baking again! :)
      And with my favourite fruit. Looks delish and I’m making something similar this week.
      True, mangoes are best eaten as they are, but mango in any form is fine with me.

19. Kalai
      July 8th, 2009 @ 6:59 pm

Gorgeous muffins, Sig! Sorry I’ve been out of touch. My MIL arrived 1 week ago and have been a bit busy.

20. Cilantro
      July 21st, 2009 @ 9:49 am

W-O-W! I love muffins and mangoes are a sure favorite! So I will defiantly try it!