• Chorizo Stuffed Jalapeno Peppers

Posted on | June 7, 2009 | 34 Comments |

It’s been a few days since my last post and looks like a lot happened during this period. We hosted our first barbecue of the summer, I got a chance to see Mario Batali and Anthony Bourdain live along with a blogger buddy and more importantly Siv & I celebrated our 11th wedding anniversary last week. I didn’t do a special anniversary post this year, as the sentiments haven’t changed since last year. We had a great time on our anniversary this year, we took the day off and spent it outside doing nothing and everything starting with a breakfast at the Salish Lodge. Food wasn’t all that great, but it was totally worth the experience of dining with a view of the beautiful Snoqualmie Falls.

Our first barbecue was a great success, but as usual I was too busy to take pictures of the food from the grill. I made these chorizo stuffed Jalapeno peppers as pre-appetizers for the guests to munch on while we wait for the grill to heat up and I managed to take a picture of the peppers before these went into the oven. No after-pics, just imagine the same peppers kind of softened and darkened and the cheese and oil from the stuffing oozing out, that is what it looked like when these came out of the oven. This is a great party dish, very easy to make and I finally got a chance to use my Jalapeno pepper roaster.

I got this roaster from Williams Sonoma last year, but never ended up using it till now. I just read on their website that they have redesigned it this year to make the holes larger, which is great as I had a tough time getting the jalapenos to balance in mine. Here is the link to the product, in case you are interested, though frankly I think it is worth it only if you make such stuff often. I bought it on an impulse last year, this is why I try to avoid going into Williams-Sonoma and such stores in the first place.  So if you are wondering how you can make these peppers without the roaster, check out my other stuffed-Jalapeno recipe. Instead of keeping the peppers whole, you can just cut off a small slice from top and scoop out the insides and stuff the peppers. These can then be placed flat on a roasting tray, without the danger of the stuffing getting out during roasting. But you have to admit that the whole ones look much fancier.

Chorizo Stuffed Jalapeno Peppers

Chorizo Stuffed Jalapeno Peppers

(adapted from Williams-Sonoma website.)

• 18 large jalapeño peppers
    • 1 cup finely diced onions
    • 1 tsp finely diced garlic
    • 1 lb fresh chorizo, casings removed
    • 4 oz shredded four cheese blend
    • 2 tbsp cream cheese, softened
    • 1 Tbs. oil
    • Salt and pepper to taste

Cut 1/4 inch off the top of the pepper and use a thin knife to remove the seeds and ribs from the peppers, if using a roaster or some kind of an apparatus to keep the peppers vertical. If not, make an opening on one side of the pepper by cutting a slice of skin off. Scoop out the veins and seeds from the inside.

In a pan, heat the oil and saute the onions till soft. Season with salt and pepper. Add the garlic ad chorizo, and crumble the sausage with the back of a wooden spoon. Stir fry for about 8 minutes till the sausage is cooked through. Transfer the mixture to a paper towel lined plate and let it cool down.

Once the sausage mixture is cooled down, mix it with softened cream cheese and the four cheese blend and stir to combine. Stuff the center of each pepper using your fingers to press down the stuffing to fit as much as you can into each pepper. Place the filled peppers upright in the roaster, or lay them flat on a foil lined roasting tray.

These can be grilled in a covered grill or roasted in the oven. I roasted these in the oven, for about 20-25 minutes , pre-heated to 400F. Roast or grill till the peppers are tender. Serve hot.

Notes:

• If using the roaster in the oven, place it on a lined tray to collect any oil and cheese that may ooze out during the roasting.
    • Make sure that you wear gloves while cleaning out the jalapenos, these are really hot peppers! Also, try to get all the seeds and veins out, otherwise someone might end up with a burned tongue!
    Category: Appetizers and Snacks, From the Grill, Good with Drinks, Pork

Green Chili Chicken

Green Chili Chicken

October 3rd, 2010

I have to thank Ms.Bong Mom for reminding me of this recipe.  A few days ago she asked her re[...]

Goan Pork Vindalho (Pork Vindaloo)

Goan Pork Vindalho (Pork Vindaloo)

September 27th, 2010

I don’t know if there is a more misrepresented Indian dish than Vindaloo. There are so many vari[...]

Nutty Chicken Wings

Nutty Chicken Wings

July 21st, 2010

I have been staring at this picture for a few days now, just couldn’t come up with a better na[...]

Tangdi Kabab

Tangdi Kabab

June 20th, 2010

Once upon a time, a girl and a boy fresh out of college moved to a big city far away from home [...]

Curried Pork Belly Sandwich with Pickled Veggies

Curried Pork Belly Sandwich with Pickled Veggies

March 19th, 2010

If I had any kind of poetic talent, I’d write a hymn about pork belly. It is the most wonderfu[...]

Comments

34 Responses to “Chorizo Stuffed Jalapeno Peppers”

June 7th, 2009 @ 9:01 pm

they look so good! i went for a bbq party a couple of weeks back and took along chocolate cupcakes for dessert. even though i wasn’t even hosting, i didn’t get much time to take pics. planning to make them again :D

June 7th, 2009 @ 9:16 pm

Many happy returns of the day!

These look great… a healthy alternative to molaga bajji :-)

3. Sra
      June 7th, 2009 @ 10:48 pm

They look so good! Reminds me to use up the chorizo in my fridge!

4. arundati
      June 7th, 2009 @ 11:10 pm

happy anniversary dearie…. those peppers look slurpicious!!

5. Parita
      June 7th, 2009 @ 11:53 pm

A very happy anniversary..stuffed jalapenos look delicious, can be used as perfect starters :)

6. Purnima
      June 8th, 2009 @ 1:27 am

Sig, yet again..feels like yesterday since I wished you last on this lovely occassion, also remember the images so well..’Child marriage’ :D Again here, to wish you HAPPY WEDDING ANNIVERSARY! :D Keep Smiling n Blogging..the pepper looks awesome, especially the arrangement!

June 8th, 2009 @ 1:32 am

Sig, seriously, that’s some drool-worthy pic! I love all the ingredients so I can only imagine how good the roasted peppers must have tasted. Oh, and that roaster is one nifty contraption.

June 8th, 2009 @ 3:57 am

11 the year sig, i remember you last years pictue, with all the pics from different years.
      I love that stand, even if the holes were small they look handy.
      I can imagine the delicous taste from this filled peppers.

9. Nisha
      June 8th, 2009 @ 4:16 am

Wow it was just the other day we bought chorizo and i made this tapas dish. I still have a few left and i guess il try out this recipe.
      Thanks Sig and A happy wedding anniv.

June 8th, 2009 @ 5:12 am

Happy Wedding Anniversary!
      Oh those peppers look delightful.

11. elra
      June 8th, 2009 @ 6:49 am

Look very elegant and I know I am going to like it. Sounds delicious Sig.

12. SSQuo
      June 8th, 2009 @ 10:41 am

Oo…Looks yum! And that you mention tony Bourdain and Batali, well I’m sold:)

13. SuperChef
      June 8th, 2009 @ 11:15 am

the jalapeno pepper roaster looks interesting, but yeah you should make these that often…but i think i may just buy it cos i like it :D LOL!!

thank god i had some milagu bajji yesterday, so im able to atleast look at this picture..im a sucker for peppers of all kinds!

14. varsha
      June 8th, 2009 @ 11:35 am

Those peppers look so elegant..I can imagine how they look like,once they come out of oven..oohh..adipoli.. :grin:

15. Padmaja
      June 8th, 2009 @ 12:10 pm

Hey Sig… thats heavenly… U know how much I love Jalapeno peppers, I gotta try…. this is amazing…

June 8th, 2009 @ 1:36 pm

They look awesome.. Love how prettily they all are standing up.
      Warm anniversary wishes to you both! :)

17. cheffresco
      June 8th, 2009 @ 3:24 pm

Haha that’s funny, I just saw these on another blog. Who knew they made these crazy gadgets?!

18. Juliana
      June 8th, 2009 @ 4:10 pm

Wow, this stuffed jalapenos look so good…I can almost taste it! Great pictures.

19. Kalai
      June 8th, 2009 @ 6:13 pm

Gosh, you had me at the title, Sig! These sound off the hook amazing. Wish you and Siv a very happy anniversary, dear! :)

June 8th, 2009 @ 7:35 pm

I am drooling. I am thinking of replacing the chorizo with fresh chopped mutton or crumbled paneer! Sig belated anniversary wishes for a lon alsting and every loving relationship. Pass on my wishes to Siv too :)

21. Miri
      June 9th, 2009 @ 1:40 am

Happy Anniversary Sig – we are about 6 months apart, we completed 11 years last December :)

These jalapenos look picture perfect and bet they must have tasted great too!!

Miri

22. Kay
      June 9th, 2009 @ 3:05 am

Sig, Happy Anniversary!!! The stuffed jalapenos look so yum!

23. Bong Mom
      June 9th, 2009 @ 8:31 am

Happy Anniversary Dear and no fotu-shotu, why ????

the jalapenos are indeed yum, would love to see what you put on the barbecue

24. smithz
      June 9th, 2009 @ 1:43 pm

Congrats on ur anniversary n the jalapenos look just yummyish! :grin:

25. sig
      June 9th, 2009 @ 10:24 pm

Thank you all for the wishes! You all made my day, again! :)

26. seeseebeehomestead
      June 10th, 2009 @ 3:18 pm

Hi Sig and Siv,

Wishing you a a long and happy married life.

From

SeeSeeBee family

27. lisaiscooking
      June 12th, 2009 @ 5:19 am

That’s so great! I just got one of these roasters and posted about it this week. The holes were actually too big on mine, but I didn’t realize they had re-designed it to make them bigger.

28. Shantanu
      June 13th, 2009 @ 6:25 am

Aha! This is just the kind of dish that can get me going. Chorizo and Jalapeno too, can’t get better than this. :)

29. usha
      July 2nd, 2009 @ 6:29 pm

peppers look delicious… as soon as i saw your peppers, i guessed you bought the pepper roaster from williams sonoma

30. Emily
      November 15th, 2009 @ 12:50 am

I LOVE This recipe!
      I’ve made it FOUR times!
      THANK YOU!
      I make it in a regular casserole pan…
      but otherwise, follow YOUR directions “to a T”
      maybe a little extra cheese..

I made it for a church Potluck and all of it got scarfed down FAST!
      My husband and I LOVE the stuffed jalepenos!

GREAT RECIPE!
      I had to write it out for two ladies I work with! they begged me for it!

31. hong
      May 5th, 2010 @ 8:38 pm

Wow, they are beautiful. Green is so fresh. Feeling like reaching for one. Very nice.

32. Cheryl Dineen
      January 27th, 2011 @ 10:57 am

I made the poppers and everyone loved them. My question is where did you find the tray with holes? I have searched all over, I can find small ones but I make at least 50 at a time and need a larger tray can you help me?

• Cheryl Dineen