• Curried Leg of Lamb

Posted on | August 31, 2008 | 60 Comments |

We all have certain moments in our lives when we look at our significant other and think – Yes, I’ve chosen wisely. One such moment in my life involves a huge bone. Not that kind of bone you dirty minds – I meant a real bone.

It happened in one of the early years of our relationship. We were having lamb curry for dinner. There was one large piece of bone in that curry! You know the type of bone that’s been stewed in the spicy gravy for a long time, that the spices actually get inside the bone to season the succulent marrow. If you are into bone marrow, this must be one of the tastiest you could ever find! There was only one such bone, I salivated at the sight of it and was more than willing to share. But Siv looked at it and declared that he doesn’t like marrow and I could have it… I thanked my lucky stars and went on to devour it with all the unavoidable sound effects of sucking marrow out of a bone.

We never really talked about it after that. Whenever we made any lamb curry for the next few months, I would take all the bones without a second thought. Until one day when we got two legs of lamb, one each for us. Siv offered me his bone as usual, but I was too stuffed by then that I passed. Then I saw him attacking that bone… I had never seen anyone enjoying a bone as much as he did that day. He was blowing from one end, sucking in from the other with all the strength he could muster; eyes almost popping out of their sockets. He was using props, forks and metal skewers to scrape out any remaining bits of marrow, it was some show! At the end of it all there was the cleanest bone I’d ever seen in my life!

That is when I realized – here is a guy who loves his bone as much as I do, but has been sacrificing it for me all this time… If that is not selfless love, what is? ;) Then on, needless to say we have been sharing equally!

I remembered this story when I made this leg of lamb curry the other night.  I normally make this in a pressure cooker, but with the pressure cooker we could easily overcook meat if we are not too careful, resulting in tasteless meat. So this time I decided to try a regular pot, and simmer for about an hour, and the result was totally amazing. The meat was perfectly cooked, tender but still maintaining the meaty taste and texture. And the bone marrow mixed with the spices was out of this world. Try this recipe if you are a lamb fan!

Leg of Lamb

• 1 tbsp red chili powder
    • 1 1/2 tbsp coriander powder
    • a few curry leaves
    • 4 cups hot water
    • salt to taste
    • 2 tbsp oil

In a large pan, heat 1 tbsp oil and brown the meat evenly on all sides. Remove the meat from the pan and keep aside.

Add the rest of the oil into the same pan and add the cardamom, star anise and cinnamon and saute for a few seconds.

Add the onion, garlic and ginger and saute till the onions starts to brown. Add the chili powder and coriander powder and mix well. Reduce the heat to medium and saute till the spices are aromatic and the oil starts to separate. Add the chopped tomatoes and stir well to combine, cook till the tomatoes are completely blended in.

Add the lamb back into the pan and mix well so that lamb pieces are coated with the spice mixture on all sides. Add the curry leaves, salt and 4 cups of hot water and mix well. Bring to a boil, cover with a tight fitting lid and reduce the heat to medium.

Cook for about 50-60 minutes. Remove the lid and cook on high heat to reduce the liquid down to form a really thick gravy.

Serve hot with steamed rice.

Category: India - Kerala, Lamb or Goat

Mutton Korma - Braised Goat in a Green Coconut Curry

March 19th, 2012

Recently someone commented on one of my Mutton dishes that "Mutton is NOT goat meat. Mutton is an [...]

Parsi Mutton Biryani - Step by Step Recipe

March 4th, 2012

I have no idea what makes this Biryani Parsi, as I don't know anything about the Parsi[...]

February 15th, 2012

Another Valentine's Day has come and gone! It is pretty much like any other day, except for the [...]

Mutton Curry in a Ground Chickpea and Coconut Gravy

Mutton Curry in a Ground Chickpea and Coconut Gravy

February 27th, 2011

This is one of those recipes that was conceived quite by accident. All I wanted was a quick mutton[...]

Thomas Keller’s Herb Crusted Rack of Lamb With Honey Mustard Glaze

Thomas Keller's Herb Crusted Rack of Lamb With Honey Mustard Glaze

February 20th, 2011

I've had the Thomas Keller cookbook "Ad Hoc at Home" for a few months now. I leafed through it q[...]

Comments

60 Responses to “Curried Leg of Lamb”

1. revathi
      August 31st, 2008 @ 8:34 pm

That is the sweeeetesttttt thing I have heard about a spouse !!! He is reaaallllyyyy sweeeettttt !!!!

Here for margarita recipes !! Wish me luck !

2. Mishmash!
      August 31st, 2008 @ 9:47 pm

aww……Sucking marrow of bones is the epitome of a meat lover’s ecstasy !!! your pics are becoming a torture for us hungry souls :)

3. nags
      August 31st, 2008 @ 9:51 pm

love the way ur pics stand out bright and clear :)

4. shilpa
      August 31st, 2008 @ 10:11 pm

Thats so sweet of Siv. So to set the records right, did you give your share of bones to him for few days?
      Btw…that piece of curried leg of lamb looks so great :drool:

5. chefectomy
      August 31st, 2008 @ 10:34 pm

Hi Sig,

My first visit to your blog via Food Blogga. I have to say your writing was full of inuendo more than you might have thought. I love Indian food but have never tried curried leg of lamb. Thanks for this post, I’ll be back to visit.

–Marc

6. CW
      August 31st, 2008 @ 11:07 pm

Haha..really who is the pervert here?
      :grin:

7. notyet100
      August 31st, 2008 @ 11:45 pm

looks yum,..thnks for sharin,..:-)

8. G.pavani
      September 1st, 2008 @ 12:44 am

hi,curried leg looks awesome,and itis mouthwatering me,thanks for nice recipe

9. Arundathi
      September 1st, 2008 @ 12:54 am

LOL!

10. arundati
      September 1st, 2008 @ 2:38 am

chicken soup for the bone lover’s soul?? :)

September 1st, 2008 @ 4:24 am

Sig, I always knew there were special implements to get the marrow out but found them only recently!
      The Spouse really enjoys bones – at the end of a meal, my plate has a pile of bones and I’m always embarrassed, his is clean – if only people realised he ate both the meat and the bones and I ate only the meat! Not lamb, though, I’m talking about chicken.
      I think there’s a traditional Hyderabadi recipe with marrow alone!

12. Priti
      September 1st, 2008 @ 5:30 am

Looks super yummy the lamb curry and the your little story too…so sweet of your hubby ;)

September 1st, 2008 @ 7:22 am

Such a nice boy ? You are lucky sig! I remember something. During childhood my amma used to suck from the bones and takeout of her mouth and feed us (just imagine birds feeding the young ones-ofcourse she would take it out with hands). One such lunch time three drooling kids starring at her to finish of the sucking and suddenly we heard a “thump” sound. Amma was blonking helplessly not daring to say at the three anxious kids that the marrow went donw her throat :) We three were dissaplointed but amma makes it a point to tap the bone on a plate to take he marrow out from then onwards! We still remmber her looks and often make fun of her :)

September 1st, 2008 @ 10:26 am

Sig, the most important reason I like eating meat with bones in the privacy of the home. I can suck and make as much I want. That Leg of Lamb looks delicious.

15. Cham
      September 1st, 2008 @ 4:50 pm

So sweet….Sucking the bone is real pleasure, i end up with all the bones in my plate :razz:
      Drooling piece :wink:

16. musy
      September 1st, 2008 @ 4:56 pm

:grin: :grin:

September 1st, 2008 @ 5:27 pm

Aww, that’s such a sweet story…good ol’ Siv :( Yes):

That is such a beautiful picture…I cook meat in a pot too :-)

18. maheswarisubbu
      September 1st, 2008 @ 8:55 pm

My better half loves to suck the last bit of marrow..:).I guess never thought of asking whether i want it or not …:(Again, i never tried to taste that either.Next time sure we will be fighting for it when i try u’r recipe.

19. Nanisham
      September 2nd, 2008 @ 3:29 am

LOl… mouthwatering recipe…… wanna try it……

20. Shantanu
      September 2nd, 2008 @ 9:51 am

Ha, ha! I can completely identify with the bone-sucking bits. Unfortunately, I am a lesser man than your ‘significant other’ (Americans do invent the mostly unimaginative phrases in English, don’t they!) and haven’t yet been that selfless yet. :razz:

21. Meena
      September 2nd, 2008 @ 1:28 pm

That’s so sweet of him – you definitely found yourself a winner Sig! Love the lamb, looks delish and will just have to try it soon.

22. rajitha
      September 2nd, 2008 @ 2:08 pm

awwww…..man you are a meanie sig :wink:

23. Sathya sankar
      September 2nd, 2008 @ 2:48 pm

luv that leg :drool: . will give it a try soon!

September 2nd, 2008 @ 2:51 pm

Aw, that’s so sweet of Siv, Sig! With the mister being a vegetarian, the thought of having to share a lamb bone has never crossed my mind. If he were to eat, I’m not sure I’d be as selfless as Siv.

Hope you feel better and rested before your trip.

25. Roopa
      September 3rd, 2008 @ 12:10 am

that looks simple…its been a long time since i cooked…your recipes look interesting and easy to do
      Regards
      Roopa

26. rajitha
      September 3rd, 2008 @ 2:02 pm

and btw…i did not get what u meant by this :???: “One such moment in my life involves a huge bone. Not that kind of bone you dirty minds – I meant a real bone.”

27. rajitha
      September 3rd, 2008 @ 2:03 pm

:mrgreen:

28. Rachna
      September 3rd, 2008 @ 3:24 pm

awwww so sweeet of siv, sig, u r lucky to have him! :)

29. Paz
      September 3rd, 2008 @ 6:50 pm

What a real prince you have. Love your story and your recipe. It’s on my list to try.

Paz

30. S
      September 4th, 2008 @ 11:07 am

For Rajitha,
      Can’t resist – methinks whoever called it a bone originally got the anatomy/physiology bit wrong – it’s actually muscle! :mrgreen: :wink:
      If you can’t make out who I am, Sig will check my e-mail and tell you – have a reputation to protect!

31. Reena
      September 4th, 2008 @ 1:33 pm

Okay siggy! We get it. You have the most romantic hubby on Earth. :razz:

The leg of Lamb looks yummo.

September 4th, 2008 @ 10:08 pm

That is selfless love. Sig, that photograph has me totally mesmerized and yearning for curry lamb.

33. Remya Sushanth
      September 5th, 2008 @ 2:24 am

:drool:

34. rajitha
      September 5th, 2008 @ 1:47 pm

S…i guess sig was a lil bit carried away…and i think i know who u are..will email u to confirm tho.. and also check with our esteemed author here :wink:

35. Superchef
      September 5th, 2008 @ 4:00 pm

awww..that IS sweet!!! :) was going thru ur profile n saw that u love the shopaholic series too…i totally love all of them!! totally a pink person too :)

36. s
      September 6th, 2008 @ 6:50 am

No, Sig didn’t get carried away, I think I’ve heard the usage before, that’s why I said “whoever called it a bone originally …”
      What a discussion – like our lives depended on it! :eek:

37. Vij
      September 7th, 2008 @ 11:32 am

Hi Sig
      The dish looks so yummy!! fantastic pic.

September 7th, 2008 @ 11:47 am

Beautiful picture Sig… looks so bright & clean… and the bone story – how absolutely romantic & sweet… :)

39. sharmi
      September 7th, 2008 @ 12:14 pm

hey, dropped in after long time, blog looks nice and pics look delicious.

40. sumarajesh
      September 8th, 2008 @ 2:19 am

looks colourful ..hope u had a nice time with it. :wink:

September 8th, 2008 @ 8:29 am

Hi Sig,

I am drooling at the photo!! Slurp!! You are very very lucky to have a understanding husband, enjoy him and life! :)

Just thought to wish you “Happy Onam” as I saw the Onam mentioned in some blogs few minutes ago. May life and love bring you both loads of happiness.Hugs to you!:)))

42. mandira
      September 8th, 2008 @ 1:54 pm

LOL sig, loved the story… here it’s not contest on the bones. :) Love the color of the curry and picture. I have some now…

43. kate
      September 8th, 2008 @ 8:06 pm

love love love the leg of lamb, specially for all that marrow. The picture is spot on, and captivating !

September 8th, 2008 @ 9:09 pm

Thank you all for the lovely words. I was on vacation and couldn’t reply to individual comments.

S and Rajitha… :) :) You two crack me up… :D Anyway, I was referring more to the act than the anatomy… but that works too.. Check out http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bone

45. S
      September 10th, 2008 @ 11:55 am

Thanks for clarifying so sweetly – and frankly – what you were referring to rather than what not you were referring to, most enlightening! :mrgreen:
      Proves I’m virtuous and innocent then, I only knew one meaning. :smile:

46. S
      September 10th, 2008 @ 11:57 am

I think the above will be the last comment on the subject before I make any further booboos!

47. rajitha
      September 10th, 2008 @ 12:15 pm

nah…i am yet to check the site..will be back with some crap..dontcha worry sig and S..unlike S…i really got not repu to keep :wink: …too late for that!

September 12th, 2008 @ 12:41 am

The things we do for love :-)

My friend made this muton curry once and cooked it in a pressure cooker (minus the weight) and asked her husband to turn off the gas after some time… he fell asleep and when she returned from her really long leisurely bath… she thought her curry had gone for a toss :-) instead they figured it was the best mutton curry she’d ever made and he took full credit for it :-)

49. Jyothsna
      September 12th, 2008 @ 3:31 am

Onaashamsakal, Sig! You seem quite busy…

50. rajitha
      September 12th, 2008 @ 8:22 am

Siggy and Siv..HAPPY ONAM :)

51. rachel
      September 13th, 2008 @ 1:10 pm

Lol!!!

My hub was :shock: when I used to devour the marr :smile: ow with all those slurping sound effects..until one fine day he started placing toothpicks beside my plate at instances he knew I would be doing it…

52. Shantanu
      September 14th, 2008 @ 2:04 am

Happy Onam! Looks like you need time to recover from that ‘real bone’ post. Or is it another vacation in quick succession?

53. sia
      September 14th, 2008 @ 7:43 am

where r u girl?

54. Nithya
      November 4th, 2008 @ 8:18 pm

Ur story is as enticing as ur Pics..Cant keep myself from visiting ur blog..Just Gorgeous..

55. SS
      February 8th, 2009 @ 11:38 pm

Hi: I just stumbled across your blog, and it’s very cool, entertaining and great pictures.

One question about this recipe: can you please give the approximate weight of the lamb legs?

Thanks….

SS

56. Josephine Baillargeon
      March 23rd, 2012 @ 5:32 pm

Excellent article post.Much thanks again. Really Cool.

57. ashraf
      July 11th, 2012 @ 11:34 am

i need grilled goat full can i get recipe

58. del
      October 17th, 2012 @ 2:19 am

hello

59. Matheus
      March 29th, 2014 @ 12:17 am

Oh nooooooooooooooooooo! I just read this post and I’ve dvatsaeted! I had planned on attending a workshop with you this year! I do completely understand the need for dedicated family time however! Will you be planning to take up workshops again?