• Mango Coconut Panna Cotta and Cafe Campagne

Posted on | July 13, 2008 | 26 Comments |

Finally it is summer in Seattle! I don’t think anyone else enjoys summer as much as us Seattleites. We have learned to fully appreciate the few sunny days we get every year. The streets are so lively these days, it is so much fun to go out into the city and get lost in the crowd. A friend and I had a fabulous Parisian style Sunday today. We started with brunch at Cafe Campagne, followed by a waterfront stroll and a few hours of shopping and finished with a late lunch at Le Pichet. Both these restaurants are so truly French, we imagined ourselves to be on a holiday in Paris.

Cafe Campagne on UrbanspoonCafé Campagne is a French bistro in Pike Place Market. It is a cheaper and more casual version of its more upscale sister restaurant Campagne. Situated in Post Alley, Cafe Campagne is the perfect place to have a relaxed brunch and people watch on a sunny Sunday when Pike Place Market and surroundings are swarmed with tourists and locals. We both had Omelette choisy- French-style rolled omelette flavored with herbs and filled with escarole and chèvre. My friend asked for an egg white omelet and to hold the sausage, they gave her the best looking egg white omelet we both have ever seen and also brought her a side of fruits to replace the sausage. Great customer service, I must say. I had mine the regular non-healthy way with a pork and chicken sausage, what can I say, I love food too much to skim fat. :) We also had some sparkling drinks to complete the Parisian experience, I had a mimosa and she had a drink with crème de Cassis and sparkling wine which was awesome, but I can’t recall the name now!

Cafe Campagne 001Cafe Campagne 002Cafe Campagne 003

It was easy to imagine we were in France after that meal, well except for the shopping of course, which doesn’t come anywhere close to Paris sadly. But we had fun shopping anyway. I tried out some 25 different outfits, shortlisted five and ultimately bought just a couple that I really loved. I was so proud of myself, the old me would’ve bought the whole bunch even if I liked them just so-so, but the new me is determined to not waste money on unnecessary items. I bought a fabulous dress and an equally fab cropped jacket and a pair of hot pink wedges. Okay, the shoe was unnecessary and extremely uncomfortable, but it was on sale and it looked hot, a girl is allowed to have a small treat for being so uncharacteristically frugal right?

Talking about treats, this Coconut Mango Panna Cotta with Raspberry Coulis is exactly that, a sinful treat! If you are on a diet, this is definitely not for you! MangoCoconutPannaCotta

Mango Coconut Panna Cotta

• 1 cup Mango Puree
    • 4 tbsp mango juice/orange juice
    • 1 cup coconut cream (see note below)
    • 1 cup half and half
    • 1/2 cup plain yogurt
    • 12 whole cardamom pods
    • 1 cup sugar
    • 1 1/2 packet powdered gelatin (1.5 tbsp)

Sprinkle gelatin over the juice in a small cup and keep aside to soften the gelatin.

In a non-reactive pan, combine the half and half, sugar, coconut milk and cardamom pods and cook on medium heat stirring frequently till the liquid is heated through but not boiling. Remove from the stove and discard the cardamom pods.

Add the softened gelatin and stir well till the gelatin is completely dissolved.

In a separate bowl, whisk the yogurt and mango puree well to combine. Add this mixture to the prepared cream mixture and whish well.

Pour into 8 individual ramekins and chill in the refrigerator for about four hours or till set. Serve with Raspberry Coulis (below).

Note: If you don’t have coconut cream, you can use regular canned coconut  milk. Open the can carefully without shaking and use just the thick cream from top.

Raspberry Coulis

• 1/4 cup raspberries
    • 1 tbsp lime juice
    • 1 tbsp sugar
    • 1/4 cup water

Blend all the ingredients in a blender till smooth. Chill before serving.

Sending this one to the gorgeous hostess Meeta who has chosen my favorite fruit Mango for this month’s Monthly Mingle – Mango Mania.

This is also my entry for Sweet Series – Cool Desserts hosted by Mythreyee.

Check out the other panna cotta recipes in this blog:

Category: Belltown, Breakfast/Brunch, Coconut, Desserts, Diary, French, Mango

Two New Belltown Restaurants: Bisato & Pintxo

Two New Belltown Restaurants: Bisato & Pintxo

July 12th, 2010

In this past year, so many Seattle restaurants have gone out of business, its got to a point where y[...]

Spring Hill, West Seattle

Spring Hill, West Seattle

March 7th, 2010

We haven’t really explored the West Seattle restaurant scene much, I am not sure why though. It is[...]

Portage Bay Cafe

Portage Bay Cafe

December 15th, 2009

I went through a phase of blogging boredom where the frequency of posting suffered a lot. The restau[...]

Tamil Style Chicken Biryani

Tamil Style Chicken Biryani

August 16th, 2009

I can hear the collective yawn already - No, not another Biryani recipe! Hasn't she posted all the p[...]

A Quick-fix Fish Curry

A Quick-fix Fish Curry

July 19th, 2009

Another Sunday wasted away, it was gorgeous outside but I just lazed around the house with all the s[...]

Comments

26 Responses to “Mango Coconut Panna Cotta and Cafe Campagne”

1. sumarajesh
      July 14th, 2008 @ 12:54 am

wooo refreshing and mouthwatering drink..feel like grab it and have a sip….very good entry abd thank u soo much for sharing..

2. rachel
      July 14th, 2008 @ 1:14 am

1. I would prefer the fattier version of the food… :smile:
      2. Love the pristine egg white omelette…
      3.good looking pannacotta..even lovelier wares :smile:

3. nags
      July 14th, 2008 @ 2:15 am

i also see panna cotta recipes on meeta’s blog and deeba’s. And now you too!! havent tried making it yet :D

July 14th, 2008 @ 2:51 am

No pics of the booty? Those omelettes look delish. And your pannacotta will have me slogging at the gym an extra hour a day me thinks… but I know it will be worth it.

5. Swati Jain:Sugarcraft India
      July 14th, 2008 @ 5:25 am

Oh, reading your post I was imagining myself there too…
      Lovely food and the pannacotta is the icing on the cake!!

July 14th, 2008 @ 10:34 am

The pannacotta sounds so tropical and yummy and that day out with your friend sounds like such a treat!

7. musy
      July 14th, 2008 @ 2:40 pm

That is one amazing combination, Sig! I can totally vouch for it. Few days back, i tried mangoes with grated coconut sprinkle and some frozen yougurt, mmmmmm, the flavor was amazing!

And truly, its nice to go out in sun and enjoy the busy streets :) It is just so relaxing! Ooh, btw, that sounds like some great food you enjoyed, with super-good customer service (which, i must add, makes the experience even more enjoyable).

Pictures of the shopping loot please :-D

8. Rajitha
      July 14th, 2008 @ 3:19 pm

bags and shoes…i can’t get enough of em…and hey! they are never a waste u know :D ….my my aren’t we getting international siggy :mrgreen: :wink:

July 14th, 2008 @ 4:03 pm

Lovely recipe :drool:

…and yes, a girl needs her little indulgences :wink:

10. revathi
      July 14th, 2008 @ 4:09 pm

thats a great girls’ day out !

July 14th, 2008 @ 4:19 pm

so the new u phase lasted till u hit the shoe store…lol
      the combo sounds great! 12 cardamoms, yippeeeee :drool:
      enjoy the beautiful summer days :( Yes):

12. Ramya's Mane Adige
      July 14th, 2008 @ 4:31 pm

Glad you had a wonderful time over the weekend. Amd the Panna cotta looks really good!!!

13. rina
      July 15th, 2008 @ 10:17 am

Bookmarked yaar..a definite try…love panna cotta

14. shilpa
      July 15th, 2008 @ 10:29 am

Beautiful panna cotta. Love the red in the picture :) .

15. JZ @ Tasty treats
      July 15th, 2008 @ 7:00 pm

ooh yumm yumm!! the pannacotta looks fantastic, and i’m sure it tasted heavenly! cant wait to try it!

July 15th, 2008 @ 10:16 pm

Slow down girl – I still need to make the 2 pannacottas previously featured on your blog. Mango + Coconut, can’t go wrong there.

Did your friend have a Kir Royale? Sounds like you had a perfect Sunday.

Yes, it was Kir Royale!!! Thanks Mamatha… :)

17. sia
      July 16th, 2008 @ 5:15 am

coconut cream in pannacotta??? i am loving it :( Yes):

18. mandira
      July 16th, 2008 @ 12:59 pm

Sig, that pannacotta looks gorgeous. And your sunday sounds like fun too :)

19. Shantanu
      July 16th, 2008 @ 1:20 pm

Aha! A heavy breakfast followed by shopping…can’t get any better, can it? :smile:

20. Coffee and Vanilla
      July 16th, 2008 @ 5:28 pm

I love mango and I love panna cotta, your combo sounds really good! :)

21. Aparna
      July 18th, 2008 @ 10:23 am

You’ve made my day, Sig.
      I was just mourning the fact that the mango season here is gone and mangoes are back in food blogging world.:)

22. sig
      July 19th, 2008 @ 5:56 pm

Thank you all for taking the time to leave a note… As always, I enjoyed reading each and every word.. :)

July 21st, 2008 @ 10:52 am

Perfect! I love panna cotta and mangoes. So this is a grand dessert. Thanks for the entry!

24. Haley
      July 29th, 2008 @ 3:31 pm

We’d like to invite you to participate in our July berry recipe contest. All competitors will be placed on our blogroll, and the winner will receive a fun prize! Please email me, haleyglasco@gmail.com, if you’re interested. Feel free to check out our blog for more details: http://blog.keyingredient.com/2008/06/06/key-ingredient-cooks-kitchen-recipe-contest/

Thanks,
      Haley
      KI Blogger

25. Food G
      August 9th, 2009 @ 6:53 am

:smile: I believe the drink with cassis and sparkling wine is called a Kir Royale. What a wonderful day!