• Sausage Fried Rice – Javanese Style

Posted on | March 10, 2008 | 46 Comments |

The husband is away on a business trip, the fridge is practically empty and it is pouring outside to go shopping. This was the situation at home tonight when it was time to start thinking about dinner. I raided the fridge to find some Portuguese sausage links, eggs and left over rice. First thought was to just have sausage and eggs, breakfast for dinner, why not? But then I thought of Meeta’s Monthly Mingle, and that today is the last day. An event is always a motivation for cooking, and the thought that if I make enough of something tonight, I won’t have to worry about cooking tomorrow night, lead me to this dish.

This is my own version of Nasi Goreng , the Indonesian fried rice.  Topping fried rice with a crispy fried egg is a Javanese tradition. The egg is fried in hot oil till the white is crispy golden color, and the yolk is still runny. There is nothing like breaking the yolk with the fork and mixing the liquid with the fried rice! If a runny egg is not your cup of tea, by all means scramble the egg.  sausage fried rice1

(Adapted from a Nasi Goreng recipe from Savoring South East Asia by Joyce Jue)

• 1.5 cups cooked and cooled rice
    • 2 sausages diced (about 1/2 a cup)
    • 1/2 cup cut green beans
    • 1/4 cup shallots thinly sliced
    • 2 tbsp tamari sauce (sub: light soy sauce)
    • freshly ground pepper and salt to taste
    • 2 tbsp vegetable oil
    • For the spice paste
    • 1 large shallot
    • 2 cloves of garlic
    • 2 large dry red chillies
  • Eggs – 1 per person
  • Method

Grind the shallots, garlic and red chillies with a little water to form a smooth paste.

Place a large wok or a deep frying pan on the stove. When the pan is hot, add the oil and swirl to cot the pan. When the oil is hot, add the diced sausages and fry till the pieces are brown. Remove the sausage pieces with a slotted spoon and keep aside.

Add sliced shallots to the pan and fry till brown, remove from the pan and keep aside.

Add the green beans to the pan and saute till crispy and keep aside.

Reduce the heat to medium, and add the spice paste to the remaining oil in the pan and fry till all the liquid is evaporated.

Add the cooked rice to the pan, increase the heat and mix well to make sure the rice is coated with the spice paste. Add the tamari sauce and pepper and mix well to coat the rice.

Add the prepared green beans and sausage to the rice and stir well, and cook on high heat for about 3-4 minutes.

Remove from the heat.

To fry an egg, pour enough oil into a frying pan or wok to form a generous coating on the bottom. Heat on high heat, when the oil is hot enough, break an egg into the pan. Season with salt and pepper. When the edges turn golden brown, remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.

Serve the rice hot, topped with a fried egg and sprinked with the fried shallots. Garnish with cucumber and tomato slices if needed. A hearty and filling meal on its own.

Vegetarian option – omit the sausage and add plenty of mixed vegetables like diced cabbage, bean sprout, carrots etc.

This hearty meal was exactly what I needed this cold and lonely night. My usual home alone special salad wouldn’t have cut it today, sometimes a girl just got to have her meat and rice.

This is going to the gorgeous hostess Meeta over at What’s for Lunch Honey for Her One-Dish Dinner party.

Category: Pork, Rice, Rice Or Biryani, South East Asia

Parsi Mutton Biryani - Step by Step Recipe

March 4th, 2012

I have no idea what makes this Biryani Parsi, as I don't know anything about the Parsi[...]

Goan Pork Vindalho (Pork Vindaloo)

Goan Pork Vindalho (Pork Vindaloo)

September 27th, 2010

I don’t know if there is a more misrepresented Indian dish than Vindaloo. There are so many vari[...]

Quick and Easy Chicken Pulao (Step by Step Recipe)

Quick and Easy Chicken Pulao (Step by Step Recipe)

April 4th, 2010

Yeah, I know my last post was all about SBD and now here I am posting a pulao recipe, I do get the[...]

Curried Pork Belly Sandwich with Pickled Veggies

Curried Pork Belly Sandwich with Pickled Veggies

March 19th, 2010

If I had any kind of poetic talent, I’d write a hymn about pork belly. It is the most wonderfu[...]

Tamil Style Chicken Biryani

Tamil Style Chicken Biryani

August 16th, 2009

I can hear the collective yawn already - No, not another Biryani recipe! Hasn't she posted all the p[...]

Comments

46 Responses to “Sausage Fried Rice – Javanese Style”

March 10th, 2008 @ 8:19 pm

That looks brilliant Sig! Lovely meal for one :)

2. Srivalli
      March 10th, 2008 @ 9:42 pm

That dish looks just so yummy..even though I don’t eat any of it… :evil:

3. arundati
      March 10th, 2008 @ 10:07 pm

babe….you eat this kind of food when you are home alone, have an empty fridge and its pouring outside?? do you want to adopt a housepet?? i promise to look on adoringly and praise every 10 seconds!! in exchange for vegetarian (eggs included) versions of your cooking!! :idea:

• Stafon
        October 17th, 2011 @ 4:34 pm

Surprisingly well-written and infmortavie for a free online article.

4. rachel
      March 10th, 2008 @ 10:48 pm

Great…surprising that you cooked for yourself..neat :( Yes):

5. Siv
      March 10th, 2008 @ 11:13 pm

You better have some leftovers of this, when I come home… don’t finish it tomorrow. :)

March 11th, 2008 @ 12:26 am

I love Nasi Goreng normally i add ham to it.
      Looks delicious. I hope you read sivs comment.
      I hate cooking for one. And you dish up tgis for you. Lovely

March 11th, 2008 @ 2:09 am

Sig, I wouldn’t mind the runny egg at all :grin: …lovely dish.

8. saswati
      March 11th, 2008 @ 3:02 am

hi sig !!i make this a lot…the sausage fried rice without the eggs.and yes i too dont mind runny eggs!

March 11th, 2008 @ 3:42 am

Don’t eat sausage but the dish sure looks yummy, love the runny eggs.

March 11th, 2008 @ 3:43 am

you like the runny yolk too… I love it… S always likes it fried on both sides!

I’ll try this sometime

March 11th, 2008 @ 4:10 am

Mmm…!!! I love the sausage abd the fried egg topping. I have that book, haven’t tried any dish so far. I will a few when I am on break!
      Looks mouthwatering, enjoy girl!:)

12. shilpa
      March 11th, 2008 @ 4:22 am

Wow…looks delicious Sig.Next time I am alone at home, I will think about you and make such a lovely dish (Did I say when I am alone, if at all I cook, it is rosemetta rice with lots of water :oops: . thats all, no sides, nothing.. )

13. Swati Jain:Sugarcraft India
      March 11th, 2008 @ 5:02 am

Wow Sig…A lovely rice dish…Of course for me it will be the veg version with eggs…Looks yum!!

March 11th, 2008 @ 6:17 am

I second Arundati – I’d like to be a housepet of yours. And you won’t have to rack your brains thinking up veggie options for me. :drool: :cool:

March 11th, 2008 @ 8:13 am

i agree, flavored rice is always a great savior for such times :grin:
      u sure did jazz it up so well!

16. Kalai
      March 11th, 2008 @ 8:36 am

Sig, this looks crazy good!! Quick and easy one, too. Thanks! :)

March 11th, 2008 @ 8:39 am

Girlie, this is one hot deal :-D Siv sure is missing out on some real great stuff! I don’t like egg, but looking at this picture, i want to really dig into it!

18. Pooja
      March 11th, 2008 @ 10:25 am

Thats lovely idea. I often discover new dishes in order to clean my fridge :party: .
      Veg version is a must try for me now ,as this pic looks so tempting :drool:, Worth sending to gates :wink: .

More abt it check out at sra’s. :cool: .

19. revathi
      March 11th, 2008 @ 11:18 am

one pot meal on a day alone ? Wowww !!!

March 11th, 2008 @ 12:41 pm

GORGEOUS yourself! I love Nasi Goreng and the fact that you used sausage it this version sounds delightful. Perfect!

21. Nanditha
      March 11th, 2008 @ 3:40 pm

i am gonna try the veggie version for sure:)…
      hope there was some left over for siv

22. TBC
      March 11th, 2008 @ 7:51 pm

awww….your hubby left u a comment. How sweet! :grin:

23. Miri
      March 12th, 2008 @ 1:54 am

Reminded me of Goan sausage pulao – and left me drooling! Looks like you had a great meal!

except for the egg – I hate egg – runny or not – in my fried rice! :oops:

24. Bharathy
      March 12th, 2008 @ 7:11 am

Thank meeta for inspiring you to cook such a loveeely yummy meal!!
      (if my husband and kids are away and me home alone,I seldom cook :wink: )

25. Sudha
      March 12th, 2008 @ 9:18 am

The fried rice looks awesome!!! I would end up eating cereal if I am all alone :razz: Gotta try it the vegetarian way!!! :drool:

26. Medhaa
      March 12th, 2008 @ 12:43 pm

Hi,

This looks yummy, I never cook when I am alone I would just go for a sandwich.

Veggie people can use Ziggy’s spicy italian veggie soya sausages, We use them regularly and they taste yumm.

27. reshma
      March 12th, 2008 @ 2:47 pm

A runny yolk drives away loneliness- that’s what I take from this post Sigi:)

28. Jyothsna
      March 13th, 2008 @ 1:28 am

Just made your version of pan fried fish in tamarind sauce again and licked the last off the plate!! Thanks, we really enjoy that one :( Yes): And most probably this sausage fried rice will be our dinner tonight with a well cooked egg – runny egg? No way! :)

March 13th, 2008 @ 7:07 am

I like veg. nasi goreng and a scrambled egg combo sounds nice… :)

30. Rachna
      March 13th, 2008 @ 7:40 am

hey this looks so yummy with the egg …. wow i gotta make fried rice tonite

31. Anuzi
      March 13th, 2008 @ 1:17 pm

What!!!! I take a brief break from blogging and you’ve become a Food Connoisseur! Hubby and I had gone to Singapore, Malaysia on vacation last year and Nasi Goreng became our Everyday indulgence. Yours looks amazing :drool: I wish I lived in Seattle so I could be that annoying neighbor who invites herself over during dinner times :evil:

March 14th, 2008 @ 3:48 am

Oh man, having left-overs at your place is definitely a treat.

33. sia
      March 14th, 2008 @ 5:28 am

u r much better than me sweetie :) its usually rice, curds and pickle when i am all alone :razz:

34. Anuzi
      March 14th, 2008 @ 6:48 am

Sig…I had a question about the dish. What kind of sausage did you use? While grocery shopping, I realized there are sooo many varieties :sealed: So I would like to get the recipe just right….so lemme know chica :smile:

I used Portugese Sausages, these are already seasoned with some spices, and are very flavorful. You can use any smoked sausage, already seasoned ones are better. Or you can cut them up and season it yourself while frying.

35. Amy
      March 15th, 2008 @ 11:36 am

Oh man, breaking that yolk is the best part! Oh gosh this is making me reeeeally hungry!

36. Susan from Food Blogga
      March 16th, 2008 @ 5:23 am

That’s why I call a manly man’s meal. Jeff would love this, Sig. I really need to make it.

37. Rina
      March 17th, 2008 @ 11:19 am

Oh!!!!! thanks for this Sig…Yet another fried rice version to my menu list…Love it. :drool:

38. Cinzy Johnson
      January 13th, 2009 @ 2:29 am

hi Sig…. :smile: just happened to browse thru ur blog….lovely…esp the pics….each one is tempting…..loved most of ur recipes,esp the Kerala recipes-kalan n olan……keep going…cheers to u :razz: the blog is really rocking…..

January 13th, 2009 @ 9:58 pm

Thanks for the kind words Cinzy! Hope to see you around!

39. Rohini
      February 7th, 2009 @ 9:32 pm

Heylo Sig!!! First and foremost, did try this wonderful recipe of yours. It was heavenly!! I did click a couple of snaps too :lol: Many thanks dear! You rock!! God bless!

40. Camille
      April 4th, 2009 @ 4:06 pm

A few weeks ago I found myself with a gift of Portuguese Sausage, and no idea what to do with it. Found this on the interwebs and it is simply amazing!! My husband, who is Dutch/Indonesian was quite impressed with me to say the least! Just love the runny eggs~ We will be having it again tonight. Thanks so much!

41. mombasa accommodations
      June 6th, 2010 @ 12:17 am

In addition to its beautiful beaches, Mombasa offers a diverse cultural history. The City traces many of its cultural traditions to former Portuguese, Arab and British settlers � all of which have left a lasting influence on the City�s food, architecture, and people. Tours of the town, safaris in game parks, and camping trips can all be included in your vacation plan.

42. mombasa accommodations
      June 6th, 2010 @ 12:17 am

43. sokelengl
      October 26th, 2011 @ 1:55 am

Your fried rice looks great! It is a very refreshing idea to use tamarind sauce for nasi goreng. I haven’t try this before and going to try it very soon. Usually I will cook nasi goreng once a week.
      Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Lisa

44. Sushantabd
      December 27th, 2012 @ 11:54 pm

No, I’ve never! I was searching in gglooe and they served strawberry ketchup with pineapple fries. Interesting stuff :pBut speaking of that, have you ever heard of banana sauce? I have a bottle with me, bought from the asian stall :p