• Panni Ularthiyathu – Pork Fry Kerala Style

Posted on | January 16, 2008 | 43 Comments |

I know, I made this big announcement about eating healthier this year… Well, we are still sticking to it for the most part, especially during the weekdays. But over the last weekend, I slipped… :oops: I was in Uwajimaya (our local Asian grocery store), and I was looking for some lean chicken, when I saw this packet of pork belly sitting there. If you are familiar with different cuts of pork, you will know that most cuts you get here are the lean variety, with all the fat trimmed off. But the belly has a nice layer of fat on it, and it is the most delicious cut of pork. It is also the closest in taste to the pork meat we get back home in Kerala. My mom seldom cooked pork at home, but I used to have it from different relatives’ places, hence it used to be a big delicacy!

Well, anyway as I was saying, seeing the pork belly in the store, I got this unbelievable cravings for fat. I do think that it is okay to succumb to temptations once in a while, otherwise we will never be able to stick to any diet. So I got a packet of the belly pork and another packet of lean pork, mixed those two and made a very authentic Kerala preparation called Panni Ularthiyathu meaning Sautéed Pork.  We had just salads for the next two days to compensate though…

Pork

• 1.5 lb pork cut into small cubes (use ½ pork belly and ½ lean cut pork if you want to reduce the fat content)
    • 1 cup thinly sliced onions
    • 2 tbsp thin ginger slices
    • 2 tbsp thin garlic slices
    • ½ cup tomato pieces
    • 3 green chilies slit
    • 1 tbsp red chili powder
    • ¼ tsp turmeric powder
    • Salt to taste
    • masala powder (grind the following)
      • 4 cardamom pods
      • 1 tsp fennel seeds
      • 6 cloves
      • ½ tsp black peppercorns
      • 1 tsp coriander seeds
  • ¼ cup thinly sliced shallots
  • ½ cup coconut slices (available frozen in the Indian stores)
  • A few curry leaves
  • Method

Mix the pork with the onions, ginger, garlic, green chilies, tomatoes, chili, turmeric and masala powders and salt, and cook in a pressure cooker for about 6 minutes after the first whistle.

When the cooker is cool enough to handle, open the cooker. There will be some gravy formed during the pressure cooking, this gravy is full of fat, and can be used for the next step.

Heat a large frying pan, and pour about 3-4 tbsp of the liquid from the pressure cooker.  Heat on high, till most of the water is evaporated and just some melted fat remain in the pan.

Add the shallots, coconut pieces and curry leaves to the pan, and sauté till the shallots and the coconut pieces start to brown. Pour the contents of the pressure cooker, along with the gravy into the pan. Mix well and cook till all the liquid is evaporated.

Have it hot with rice and a light gravy like daal or moru curry or plain yogurt.

Sending this to Jyothsna of Curry Bazar as my entry for RCI – Kerala. RCI stands for “Regional Cuisines of India” , this event is started by LakshmiK from “Veggie cuisine”” .

Category: Good with Drinks, India - Kerala, Pork

Green Chili Chicken

Green Chili Chicken

October 3rd, 2010

I have to thank Ms.Bong Mom for reminding me of this recipe.  A few days ago she asked her re[...]

Goan Pork Vindalho (Pork Vindaloo)

Goan Pork Vindalho (Pork Vindaloo)

September 27th, 2010

I don’t know if there is a more misrepresented Indian dish than Vindaloo. There are so many vari[...]

Curried Pork Belly Sandwich with Pickled Veggies

Curried Pork Belly Sandwich with Pickled Veggies

March 19th, 2010

If I had any kind of poetic talent, I’d write a hymn about pork belly. It is the most wonderfu[...]

A Lemony Garlicky Chicken Fry

A Lemony Garlicky Chicken Fry

December 6th, 2009

Our kitchen has been pretty cold and quiet lately, it gets used once a week maybe. Even though I kee[...]

Chicken Fry with a Green Chili Marinade

Chicken Fry with a Green Chili Marinade

October 4th, 2009

Whenever I think about spicy chicken dishes there is one dish that stands out in my mind; one perfec[...]

Comments

43 Responses to “Panni Ularthiyathu – Pork Fry Kerala Style”

January 16th, 2008 @ 10:36 pm

i used to love beef ularthu before one fine day i decided not to eat beef anymore (long story!). havent tasted pork much, except at a couple of catholic weddings in kottayam :) looks quite nice and a lovely entry for RCI :D

• THOMAS
        January 19th, 2009 @ 12:51 am

Hi,
        Thats taste of Kottayam Pork curry.. :razz: :razz:

Thanks
        Toms

January 16th, 2008 @ 10:38 pm

We slip too… but in general, we’re sticking to very healthy eating…
      can substitute chicken with fake chicken… pork… no idea :-)

3. Kaykat
      January 16th, 2008 @ 10:58 pm

Crazy meat lover :)

No pork for me, but the flavours sound fabulous. I’m going to kick some veggies into high gear with this masala.

4. Jyothsna
      January 16th, 2008 @ 11:12 pm

It looks spicy – nice colour! Thanks for the entry Sig!

5. Srivalli
      January 17th, 2008 @ 12:31 am

well slippage happens…but how well you get back to what you decide matters…more over whats the fun in it you never slip… :evil: …the dish looks appealing in the sunlight…good shot!

January 17th, 2008 @ 1:54 am

Sig, when I went to Thailand last month, the place was full of pork – I nibbled at it a bit, didn’t like it much, but there was one dish that I stayed away from – stewed pig’s tongue!

7. Amy
      January 17th, 2008 @ 1:57 am

Pork belly is my absolute favorite cut of pork! This looks delish!

8. rachel
      January 17th, 2008 @ 3:21 am

I love pork too ..and there’s an unforgivable amount of fat there :eek:

January 17th, 2008 @ 3:42 am

Sig, don’t eat pork but would love to try this with chicken, as for the diet you are still on track, you did not go heavy on the carbs which is what matters to the waist :)

10. Rajitha
      January 17th, 2008 @ 5:41 am

i think allowing ourselves to indulge..and i mean a thought-out indulgence is good..it helps you to stay on track and does not come with that terrible feeling of guilt..which comes after a cheat!! i usually keep a day to indulge..i do not go ballistic..but if i crave something, i will eat it on that day..i think this works for me the best!!…and i better stop this boring lecture :mrgreen:

January 17th, 2008 @ 5:56 am

hmmm, breaking err twisitng the resolutions already…lol
      hey, i’m still looking for those coconut slices since u mentioned them last.

12. Mishmash!
      January 17th, 2008 @ 7:31 am

Sig, this is one of my mother’s fav,though I am not at all a fan….i can bribe her with a plate of this dish :P

Shn

January 17th, 2008 @ 8:21 am

My whole family loves this dish. Except for me. When my mom made this they all just were drooling while she was making it. When i didn’t eat it, mom used to tell me Girl you don’t know what taste good.

14. Pravs
      January 17th, 2008 @ 9:38 am

Oh yeah..will be just great with moru curry and rice!

15. Rina
      January 17th, 2008 @ 11:33 am

Love this Sig.. :drool: . Off late I left Pork…but you are tempting me. Looks gr8 :cool:

16. Revathi
      January 17th, 2008 @ 11:42 am

I dont eat Pork – still the dish looks mighty tempting. So have you included a workout regimen too ? We will wait to see a new picture of you !!
      Good luck !!! :)

17. Dhivya
      January 17th, 2008 @ 12:34 pm

I am pure die hard veggie! then you wonder why am i commenting for this post? well this is to tell u that the new layout rocks :) :( Yes):

18. Thulasi
      January 17th, 2008 @ 7:00 pm

Sig
      I am a big fan of this.

Nice job , could u please educate me the diffrence of these recipes: LOOKS same for my eyes:
      Wednesday, January 16th, 2008 Panni Ularthiyathu – Pork Fry Kerala Style

Monday, September 10th, 2007 Pork Ularthiyathu (Pork Dry Curry Kerala style)

Friday, April 20th, 2007 Curried Pork Belly

Thulasi, there are differences in ingredients and the way these are cooked too… Yep, some of the ingredients are similar, but that is the case with most meat dishes in Kerala. But all the three dishes taste quite different.
      For example, the Curried Pork Belly is completely cooked in its own fat, and uses black pepper as the main spice. The other Pork Ularthiyathu is for lean pork cuts, doesn’t have tomato, and the spices are fried whole instead of grinding and adding. Trust me, all the three dishes taste quite different, my favorite is the Curried Pork Belly though… :)

19. rachel
      January 17th, 2008 @ 7:04 pm

At our place, the only difference is the coconut is added with the meat and other ing.in the pressure cooker and not with the final sauteeing.. A tbsp or so of vinegar is also added.

January 18th, 2008 @ 5:54 am

Great dish for Kerala RCI, I was expecting something traditional, you didn’t disappoint me!:)
      Enjoy your weekend Sig, hugs. We have snow here!:D

21. pooja v
      January 18th, 2008 @ 7:53 am

I loved the recipe and i will try it with chicken. Will tell u how it comes out.

22. Bharathy
      January 18th, 2008 @ 9:15 am

Drool Drool Drroool again!! :drool:

January 18th, 2008 @ 2:05 pm

Man, don’t say you slip. I think that during the week while we eat well, it is nice to treat ourselves on the weekend. Come on. I am serious.

24. Susan from Food Blogga
      January 18th, 2008 @ 5:19 pm

This dish was worth slipping over. :wink:

25. sig
      January 19th, 2008 @ 9:21 am

Thanks for your kind words friends!

26. thulasi
      January 19th, 2008 @ 10:34 am

Much appreciated for your kind reply. Yester day I tried your curried belly pork and it turned out as super success. :( Yes): for a such a lovely recipe

January 21st, 2008 @ 4:38 am

Slipping is good because it reminds us that there is a fun side to life too. and this dish well I’d slip for it anytime!

28. JZ @ Tasty treats
      April 27th, 2008 @ 7:34 pm

Hey Sig, I happened across ur blog last week, and am very pleased with my find ;-) ! tried ur pork ularthiyath already and it turned out fantastic!! thanks a lot for the recipe, and count me in as a frequent visitor from now on! i also wanted to ask u if i cud post the recipe on my blog with a link back here and credits to u? I would appreciate it if u cud let me know (jz.tastytreats@gmail.com)

Hi JZ, sure feel free to use it…

29. wetspark
      May 21st, 2008 @ 9:04 am

The number of people who eat pork in india is miniscule..even in non veg friendly Kerala it is restricted to central travancore region…and i am lucky to be one of them..love the Pork with fat if you can forget health for sometime!;-P

btw..awesome blog you have..I have seen lot of food blogs..but these one stands out for the huge variety of cusines you try out!! and i have a new place to refer to whenever i want to cook something special!!

:) Yeah, I know what you mean… We never used to buy pork at my house, but I’ve had it from some relatives’ places… I am lucky I eat pork, coz that is one of the tastiest meat out there!! And the fat… yum….
      Also, thanks for the kind words :) Hope to see you around here…

30. shibu
      November 27th, 2008 @ 8:11 pm

:lol:
      My dad and me liked pork too much and my mum & my wife used to make it in the traditional way which is almost similar. After cooking we use big heavy castings to fry and drain excess oil. Cumin seed and tomatos are not essential for fry. Vinthaloo, varutharachathu etc. are also super. Pork with plantain or cooka or kadachacka are good combinations.

31. Arun
      March 3rd, 2009 @ 9:41 pm

Its simply great!!! :smile:

32. Anjana
      October 1st, 2009 @ 10:20 am

We dont buy pork much, so i didnt know how to cook it. When i googled i found your tempting picture and the recipe was quite easy to follow..

And the end result.. heavenly tasty.. :razz: thanks for the posting..

33. Mary
      February 10th, 2010 @ 4:25 pm

Hey, off topic, but I just loooooooove the template you used for your blog! Can you tell me where you got it please? :)

34. Aby
      July 10th, 2010 @ 1:40 am

Hi Sig

I have made this dish countless no. of times, I have become a fan of Pork only after preparing this dish… Doing this today again… thanks and good work!!

35. Balraj Bhasin
      November 3rd, 2010 @ 10:05 pm

Made a big batch for Diwali party, loved by all, thank you.

36. meghna
      January 18th, 2011 @ 11:27 pm

I’ve visited your blog a number of times and enjoy reading your posts and the receipes following. I tried your pork fry kerala style and it turned out so delicious. My family of 3 polished the dish in one sitting. My husband and son want me to cook this again this weekend. Now I’ll try some other dishes as well. Thanks a lot.

37. JERRINE
      January 28th, 2011 @ 4:45 pm

38. JERRINE
      January 28th, 2011 @ 4:45 pm

Want to discover secret recipes from your favourite restaurant.email me on the this id jerrinemary@rediffmail.com and I will send you the link for e-cookery books as wellas keep you all updated in the future. or u can also visit shoppersland.org for your favourite cookery books.Cheers

39. dino
      December 27th, 2011 @ 6:18 am

hm … hm … ah … oh …
      Dont get the wrong sense of those … those were the only ones that came out of my mouth after biting into a few of the pieces!

Good job publishing this recipe!

40. Exarorway
      January 12th, 2013 @ 4:42 pm

In fact, there is not a definition for [url=http://pandorabraceletsabout.webs.com]Shop Pandora Travel Charms[/url]
      . This sort of Jewelry is composed of two features, one is the [url=http://pandoracharms2013.weebly.com]Pandora Alphabet Charms Sale[/url]
      jewelry of Pandora fashion the other is the jewellery of [url=http://salepandoracharms.weebly.com]Pandora Sterling Silver Charms Outlet[/url]
      brand name.

First of all, we should know that what can be named Pandora. Pandora (originated from Greek) is the first girl on the earth. She is a clay sculpture produced by the God of fire, Hephaestus in buy to punish Prometheus who steals hearth to the human beings. The god would make Pandora incredibly gorgeous. The mythology of [url=http://pandoranecklacessale.webs.com]Pandora Beads Wholesale[/url]
      has been handed down for a long time in different editions. In all of the literary editions, the mythology of Pandora is utilised to clarify the existence of evil.