• A low fat Guacamole… with Tofu!!!

Posted on | January 26, 2008 | 33 Comments |

Guacamole is one of my favorite dips. I know a lot of people stay away from it because of the high fat content in avocados. But the fat is mostly heart-healthy mono-saturated fat, it is cholesterol free as well. So do you wonder why I am making a lower fat version of the guacamole goodness? Because of a certain someone who has been pestering me for the past couple of weeks asking – WHERE IS MY SOY ENTRY? So far she has been only sending threatening e-mails, but I have a feeling that it won’t be long before this one shows up on my doorsteps with a gun. So I thought I better make something with soy fast… This in fact is the first time I am buying tofu, the things you do in the name of fear friendship…

I saw this recipe on TV a long time ago,  forgot who the chef was or even which show it was. But I remember that he substituted half the quantity of avocado with equal amount of tofu to keep it low fat, and had sworn that it doesn’t make any difference to the taste, and no one will even doubt that there is tofu in it! So I thought, wow, that sounds like the perfect recipe for me! Yesterday I went to the store to buy some tofu and they had soft tofu, silk tofu, firm tofu, extra firm tofu and what not! I had no clue which one to buy, but I assumed that it could be soft tofu, since that sounded like close in texture to avocado. But after coming home, every single recipe I could find for tofu guacamole had used firm tofu. I still made mine with the soft tofu, and it tasted and looked fine! I have no idea what the difference is! If any tofu experts out there knows why firm tofu will work better, let me know!

Guacamole1

These are approximate measurements. If you have a guacamole recipe that you normally follow, just substitute half the avocado with equal amount of tofu.

1. 1 medium sized ripe avocado
    2. 3 tbsp soft tofu
    3. 1 tbsp finely chopped green onions
    4. 1 tbsp finely chopped shallots
    5. 1 finely chopped garlic
    6. 1 tsp finely chopped green chilies
    7. 2 tbsp finely chopped tomato
    8. salt to taste
    9. 3 tbsp fresh lime juice

Cut the avocado in half and remove the seed, and scoop the flesh out with a spoon. Mash the avocado with hand or a wooden spoon.

Add the tofu to the bowl and mash well, mix well till the tofu is completely broken up and mixed with the avocado.

Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well to combine.

If you prefer a smoother texture, process this mixture in a food processor.

Delicious guacamole is ready.

It really tasted like regular guacamole, I couldn’t taste the tofu in it.

breakfast burritos tofu

We had ours with some nice breakfast burritos, so that this will qualify for WBB – Weekend Breakfast Blogging started by my dear friend Nandita of Saffron Trail, this month hosted by another dear friend Rajitha of Hunger Pangs, who picked my favorite ingredient in the world Soy. I know she won’t believe that I actually added tofu in this, so here is my packet of tofu with the block cut off. :) I still have 3/4th of the packet remaining, I have no idea what to do with the rest! Any suggestions, let me know!

Category: Avocado, Chutneys and Dips and Pickles, Tofu

Garlic Spears – 3 Ways

Garlic Spears - 3 Ways

June 16th, 2009

Garlic spears are the flowery tops of the elephant garlic plant. Look how pretty they are! R[...]

Roasted Salmon with Piquillo Pepper – Walnut Pesto and Sauteed Broccoli Rabe

Roasted Salmon with Piquillo Pepper - Walnut Pesto and Sauteed Broccoli Rabe

January 4th, 2009

It seems like we've been eating a lot of salmon lately. Well, why not? Salmon is a very healthy opti[...]

Grilled Lamb Chops with Harissa and Grilled Peach and Arugula Salad

Grilled Lamb Chops with Harissa and Grilled Peach and Arugula Salad

August 4th, 2008

Isn't summer supposed to be the season of leisure? In my case it is quite the opposite! When I annou[...]

Kothamalli Thogayal (Cilantro Chutney)

Kothamalli Thogayal (Cilantro Chutney)

February 4th, 2008

Comfort food is something you crave to come home to after a few days on the road. Comfort food is us[...]

Tofu Scramble

Tofu Scramble

January 29th, 2008

Hey, stop, don't leave... you are in the right place... No, I haven't suddenly turned vegan or anyth[...]

Comments

33 Responses to “A low fat Guacamole… with Tofu!!!”

1. Rajitha
      January 26th, 2008 @ 5:56 pm

just crumble it and make a tofu sammie :evil: ..i did pick the tofu keeping ur healthy eating resolution in mind..the pains i take for friendship :mrgreen: ..you know u r a sweetheart!!

:) yeah yeah I know you picked it just for me…. to torture me that is… :)

2. Rajitha
      January 26th, 2008 @ 6:18 pm

and btw..i trust u :nerd: …unlike u :sad:

:D hmmm… really?

3. Siri
      January 26th, 2008 @ 6:29 pm

Guacamole is my fav too! :razz: Addtion of Tofu wud make it even more delicious..:) :grin: Off I am to buy some Avocodos this weekend!

Thanks for such simple yet yummy recipe Sig!

~ Siri :( Yes):

I don’t know about making it more delicious :D , but healthier for sure

4. TBC
      January 26th, 2008 @ 6:47 pm

That looks very good, Sig. I have tried guacamole in sandwiches earlier, but remember being pretty unimpressed. :???: I should try it your way now.
      As for suggestions on what to do with the remaining tofu, I say make my fruity tofu smoothie. You will not taste the tofu at all and it takes just 2 min! :cool: :grin:
      Or else make a tofu scramble. That’s good too. :smile:

yep, anything where I can’t taste the tofu is a good option… but with tofu I need to make a spicy dish I guess… :)

January 26th, 2008 @ 7:16 pm

never tried making guacamole :) but grinding tofu is a good idea. i don’t like it in chunks!

:) yeah, me neither… actually I don’t like it in any form, but this one was perfectly masked…

6. Sudha
      January 26th, 2008 @ 7:36 pm

Tofu in guacamole sounds great!! Gotta try it because I love avocados :grin: Try making tofu stir fry with thai red curry paste (add whatever veggies you have on hand). It’s delicious!!!

Thanks Sudha! tofu stir fry with thai paste sounds great… I will have to add a lot of veggies I guess :)

7. bhags
      January 26th, 2008 @ 11:17 pm

Guacamole is my fav dip and so is Mr Kanth’s…….never wud have i ventured in making it…but this post has given me the much reqd inspiration..err confidence…. :grin:

:) good luck bhags, hope you and Mr.Kanth like it…

January 27th, 2008 @ 12:25 am

Yummy! Great low fat version! We believe you, Sig :) Guacamole with baked vegetable crisps is one delish treat :) For the remaining tofu, try ma po tofu.

Thanks musie.. I found the ma po tofu recipe, it looks delicious, but I think I’d need firm tofu for that!

January 27th, 2008 @ 2:29 am

Looks rather yummy… so we both came out with independent entries for soya and papaya… in Feb, we shall see :-) united we stand Sig!

:) yep, let us form an alliance in Feb… we can cover double the events, it sure sounds like a great idea… :)

10. nandita
      January 27th, 2008 @ 2:51 am

Doll,
      I have been reading those ‘gentle threats’ on the comments since a while :razz: and what a super entry…low fat or whatever, i can use your idea because avocados sometimes cost more than a bomb here and tofu is relatively cheap –
      Hugs
      So our friendship is PUBLIC now huh!!!
      Cheers to that :( Beer):

:) yeah, yet another reason to use tofu in guacamole, I can imagine how costly it will be in India, the supply and demand theory :) … and yeah, the cat is out of the bag now :D

11. nandita
      January 27th, 2008 @ 2:53 am

And i must share with the restaurant reviewer goddess that the best guacamole we’ve had was in huge stone pots at this hep restaurant in NYC called Dos Kaminos- it’s a place you’ll love, or have you been there already?

Nope I haven’t been there… duly noted for the next NYC trip :)

January 27th, 2008 @ 6:21 am

:grin: At last, Sig girl tried Tofu!!!!!!

Looks great though, good dip for Super Bowl party!!

:D yep, at last…. it was about time…

January 27th, 2008 @ 6:51 am

love that guacamole, will trust u with the tofu version….lol
      sorry no tofu suggestions from me :nerd:

hey, you don’t like tofu either…. :D yeah I’d have said the same thing too, but I got my hands twisted into buying it this time…

January 27th, 2008 @ 8:10 am

Sig,
      With the remaining block, you can make grilled tofu. Cut it into cubes and marinate with your favorite marinade and grill it. I’ve only done that with firm tofu though. But I’m guessing it would work fine with soft tofu as well. Or you can make scrambled tofu – crumble tofu and fry till the texture resembles scrambled eggs (you can add onions, peppers, other veggies if you wish). Adding turmeric will make it look just like eggs.

Happy B’day in advance :party: .

Mamatha

The soft tofu is really soft, it crumbles if I even press it hard, so I don’t think I could skew it! I like the scrambled tofu idea :) Thanks for the wishes Mamatha!

15. evolvingtastes
      January 27th, 2008 @ 8:55 am

Nice idea to add some protein to the guac! I’ll try to remember this one. With the leftover tofu, try out ma-po tofu (shameless self-promotion – recipe on my blog :) ).

:) I checked it out ET… the ma-po tofu really looks great, but as I said the soft tofu may not work in it :(

16. Namratha
      January 27th, 2008 @ 4:50 pm

Ahh I remember watching this one too…I think it was a she…Ellie Krieger on her Healthy Appetite show :) Would love to try this Sig, good one!! Rajitha must be more than at peace now :grin:

Yep, that was a healthy eating show, its been a while, so I don’t even remember whether it was a he or she, so I think you are right! :)

17. rita shylesh nair
      January 27th, 2008 @ 6:29 pm

Sig, I make tofu scramble for weekend breakfast/brunch almost weekly. I buy soft tofu (has more water content) to use for shakes, scrambles and so on and the firmer tofu in dishes where I want the pieces to not fall apart (stir fry or currys or roasts etc.). Tofu scramble would follow an egg burjee or paneer burjee recipe- saute finely chopped /diced small onions, ginger, chillies, tomatoes in some olive oil and ghee, add turmeric, cumin,garam masala, coriander powder to your taste, saute until its fragrant, add the soft tofu (I dice this up finely in the pack itself) and add some grated coconut, add salt and black pepper (coarsely ground) to taste, saute for another 5 -8 minutes to allow the tofu to absorb the flavors and the liquid to evaporate properly. serve with warm pita, toast, meditteranean flat bread etc.

Thanks Rita! The scramble is a wonderful idea… I made it this way, sans coconut, and it was delicious! Thanks for the detailed recipe…

January 28th, 2008 @ 6:23 am

Sig, that dip looks delightful, I am still not sold on Tofu though. I have bites from some Chinese friends’ lunch boxes and their Tofu tastes fine but.. Oh that reminds me, a friend makes chutney with Tofu infact a coconut chutney substituting Tofu for coconut and lot of people did not know the difference till she let it out :)

:) I don’t think anyone could dislike Tofu more than me, but I swear this one was not bad, so I say go for it… :D Now tofu chutney…. that sounds interesting, but I am not sure how the texture would be!!

19. Jyothsna
      January 28th, 2008 @ 6:36 am

Guacamole is great, but tofu???? :razz:

:D I know exactly where you are coming from… I was there just two days ago :D

January 28th, 2008 @ 7:57 am

I love guacamole, and as you wrote avocado is having good fat. This looks delicious.
      But I want to have the old sig back who makes all the fatty dishes :-) because I am trying to loose the 3 kg i put on in the last two months and when ever i come here you are making all these low fat dishes. Which makes me guilty thinking Why am I not also making these delicious looking low fat food :-)

:D hehe I am not off fatty foods completely I am just cutting down a bit…. and I have way more than 3kg to loose, so don’t worry :D

January 28th, 2008 @ 8:12 am

Now that is a cool way to use tofu. I like the idea Sig! Thanks!

You are welcome Meeta… this is a great recipe for tofu haters :D

January 28th, 2008 @ 9:16 am

What a neat and novel idea that is sig!
      As for using the remaining tofu, I second TBC on using it as a scramble.. it’s a favorite at home and works as a great sandwich filling.

Scramble is the overall winner, and that is what I ended up making… :) Thanks Laavanya!

23. Padmaja
      January 28th, 2008 @ 12:22 pm

Sig!! nice idea of mixing tofu in Gaucamola.Though i don’t like both of them, the picture is making me to try once sig!!!

Tofu I can understand, you don’t like gaucamole either? Girl, it is sooo good…. :)

January 28th, 2008 @ 1:19 pm

I made some pita bread just the other day, this would have gone down well with it.

yep, that is a great combo… :)

25. archana
      January 28th, 2008 @ 9:14 pm

hey sig,

i love the dish you used! I didn’t realize you did not like tofu till now. Wow.. i wonder if our friendship can survive!! :razz: :mrgreen:

So another idea since you keralites love coconut milk is to blend your coconut milk plus soft tofu together to get a milky sauce for any of your avial/curry type dishes using coconut milk. My mom started using pureed tofu in her s.kanara avial after my dad had some heart problems and it worked like a charm. We could not taste the tofu in those dishes. You have now given me the idea to blog about this!!! :)

:D lucky you didn’t find out before we were friends… now it is too late, huh? :D … I like this idea of blending tofu for coconut milk based curries, I can see how that will work… thanks Archana, I will definitely try that… :)

26. rachel
      January 28th, 2008 @ 11:18 pm

Guacomole looks nice..bet it tastes good as much as the picture vouches for it!!

Thanks Rachel… It did :)

27. Anjani
      January 29th, 2008 @ 2:29 am

hi Sig…i’m a regular to your blog but never got to leave behind a comment….hmm…this is just to say a Hi :( Flower): …and let you know that u’ve gotta great blog with cool pics :( Yes): …even though 90% seem to be hard core nonveg items!! Like the restaurant reviews too…and this recipe is cool…but the idea of tofu is what keeps me away from this inspite of ur promises :wink: !!!

Thanks Anu! :) tofu, yeah I know what you mean, believe me… I have resisted tofu for the past few years…. finally gave in… :)

28. Rajitha
      January 29th, 2008 @ 6:20 am

always glad to make ur dislikes to like?? see..now u got tofu added to that column on the side..how cook is that :mrgreen: ..and no twising arm girl..what are those lies :shock: …just a loving push to make something tofulishious..keeping healthy eating in mind :grin: :evil:

:) yeah, yeah whatever…. :evil:

29. Rajitha
      January 29th, 2008 @ 6:21 am

damn..wanted to say cool!! bah..

30. Rina
      January 29th, 2008 @ 9:06 am

Love this dip dear… recently wanted to make some dip or sauce for wraps with avocado… never ventured it still… this will be good inspiration to try and enjoy. :cool: :( Flower):

Thanks Rina, yep guacamole makes a great spread on wraps…

31. Amy
      January 29th, 2008 @ 8:25 pm

I’ll have to try this because I love guac!

32. Bharathy
      February 8th, 2008 @ 7:20 am

LOL..I too have remaining block of tofu,in the freezer,after making tofu sandwiches acc to Suganyas awesome recipe!
      I have decided to make tofu scramble here for tommorrow and let me see if I can enter her event of healthy breakfast :wink: