• Carrot Thoran – Shredded Carrots with Coconut Stir Fry

Posted on | September 12, 2007 | 35 Comments |

You think if you’ve seen one thoran (a traditional Kerala vegetable stir fry with coconut and spices) recipe, you’ve seen it all, right? Well, that is true to a certain extent. But this one had to be blogged about, since I normally hate carrots. Yep, I hate cooked carrots, I can have them in salads and stuff. But my mom made this delicious carrot stir fry, by shredding the ingredients in the food processor first. I loved it! Okay, most of you must already be shredding carrots in a food processor, but somehow I’ve never thought of it before! So for other ignoramus friends like me, here is the simple carrot thoran recipe.

• 3 Medium sized Carrots
    • 1 cup onion pieces quartered
    • 1 green bell pepper
    • 3 sliced green chilies
    • 1/2 cup shredded coconut
    • 1″ piece ginger
    • salt to taste
    • 1 tbsp oil
    • 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
    • 1/8 tsp gram daal
    • 2 dry red chilies
    • 1/2 tbsp sliced shallots

Shred carrots, onions, bell pepper and ginger in a food processor.

Heat oil, splutter mustard seeds, add daal, dry red chilies and shallots and saute till brown.

Add the shredded carrot mixture, coconut , green chilies and salt.

Cover and cook for a few minutes. Open the lid and stir till the mixture is completely dry.

No need to add water, there is enough water in the carrot to cook itself.

Category: India - Kerala, Side Dish - Dry, Vegetarian

Roasted Zucchini Salad with a Dill-Garlic-Mayo Dressing

Roasted Zucchini Salad with a Dill-Garlic-Mayo Dressing

September 24th, 2010

Zucchini is a vegetable that I don’t have strong feelings about, neither a fan, nor a hater. Bu[...]

Spicy Eggplant Raita

Spicy Eggplant Raita

September 22nd, 2010

Anybody who has had any kind of exposure to Indian cuisine must be familiar with the term Raita. R[...]

Sautéed Romanesco Cauliflower with Pine Nuts and Garlic

Sautéed Romanesco Cauliflower with Pine Nuts and Garlic

September 21st, 2010

As promised, I am continuing the SBD friendly vegetarian sides series with a simple sautéed veg[...]

Kidney Beans and Chard in Coconut Milk

Kidney Beans and Chard in Coconut Milk

September 19th, 2010

A lot of people I know are under the assumption that dieting is all about sacrificing good food an[...]

Spicy Baby Eggplants

Spicy Baby Eggplants

February 22nd, 2010

A pure vegetarian recipe is long due in this space. We have been trying to incorporate more vegetabl[...]

Comments

35 Responses to “Carrot Thoran – Shredded Carrots with Coconut Stir Fry”

1. bee
      September 12th, 2007 @ 4:39 am

sig, are you my alter ego or something? love karela, love shrimp, hate cooked carrots – the similarities are astounding.

i’m begining to think i’m schizophrenic and this is my other blog – my carnivorous one.

2. Vcuisine
      September 12th, 2007 @ 4:53 am

Nice Carrot pyramid thoran Sig. I love carrots in any form. Viji

September 12th, 2007 @ 5:30 am

Sig, you should have gone one step ahead and told us how to shred carrots in a food processor – you see, I have a humongous machine and don’t use anything in it except the mixer attachment, so I don’t remember how it works!

September 12th, 2007 @ 6:59 am

What! you hate carrots!! Send this stuff over, NOW! looks good and i am sure this one is gonna’ be fingerlicking good!!

September 12th, 2007 @ 7:01 am

even I have never had a fancy for cooked carrots. Amma never made carrot curry… but I like it in mixed vegetables or pulao :-)

I’ve had friends make this curry… but will try your version :-)

6. Rachna
      September 12th, 2007 @ 7:31 am

hey sig…me too never liked cooked, boiled carrots…eeee… can only have them raw and crunchy in salads….or gajar ka halwa… i bet this thoran is still crunchy….thaaaanks a heap for this recipe… i only knew beans and cabbage thoran… love the pic… its looking 3D…like it’s sitting on my screen :)

7. Roopa
      September 12th, 2007 @ 9:19 am

oho! i am on the other side i love carrots with any dish and the palya as we call it love it and my kids eat it just like uppuma :)

September 12th, 2007 @ 10:14 am

ooooh! the thoran posts! my fave kind of kerala preparation :) my blog was raining thorans in between :D

9. Padmaja
      September 12th, 2007 @ 10:15 am

Sig!!
      i love to have carrot in any form, fry, raw or in dessert!!Noel loves to have this simple thoran!!

September 12th, 2007 @ 11:32 am

Carrots rock! Glad your mum made you eat your carrots like a good little girl – with such a recipe I am sure anyone would find a liking for carrots!

11. Padma
      September 12th, 2007 @ 11:42 am

Thats a nice idea of shredding carrots and using it for thoran, that will be amazingly flavorful…yeah do include me in those ignoramus friends list, I am glad I am having a company +_+

LOL

12. Happy cook
      September 12th, 2007 @ 12:32 pm

Wow that is what i call a big mountain of carrot thoran.
      And my food processor is just in the cupboard dusting, i grate carrit using the old grater method.
      My reason less wahing up :-) ))

September 12th, 2007 @ 1:17 pm

We make this around Mysore as Carrot playa, tastes so great with chapatis or side dish with rice,Glad to see mom’s posts!:))

14. Rajitha
      September 12th, 2007 @ 1:33 pm

first off..love that pic..again..carrots are beautiful. i love them and can eat them like all the time..i think if i were not human..i could have been a bunny…wait..there are people who eat bunnies..i’ll stick with human ;)

15. Richa
      September 12th, 2007 @ 3:31 pm

that mountain of a thoran looks so YUM :) liked the idea of shredding the capsicum as well! i too usually chop them fine. will make a fine s/w. btw fennel (saunf) tadka with carrot+capsicum mix tastes very good, do try it sometime if u like :)

16. Mishmash !
      September 12th, 2007 @ 3:45 pm

I think there re lots of cooked carrot haters here…lets form a union :P Btw, adding green bell pepper is a nice idea…i have tried that with cabbage and it just gets tastier….mainly coz of the green pepper smell I guess.

Shn

17. Gini
      September 12th, 2007 @ 3:56 pm

Give me carrots any time. I love this thoran. I mince them with knife and finger cap on- u know the mallu style.

18. Vanita
      September 12th, 2007 @ 4:00 pm

Hey the Carrot pyramid looks kool . i keep visiting your blod very often and u sure have a good load of recipies … i normally make carrot and cabbage thoran or probably add it to beans thoran … added u to my blog !

19. TBC
      September 12th, 2007 @ 4:11 pm

Hey Sig, I make this too. Actually, I think I make a thoran or a Mezukuparatti out of anything I can lay my hands on:-)
      I add beetroot and omit the capsicum. I love how this tastes.

September 12th, 2007 @ 10:24 pm

You may be many things but ignoramus you are not! :) I don’t like cooked carrots either.

21. Pravs
      September 12th, 2007 @ 11:53 pm

I make carrot thoran in a simple way..have to try your mom’s recipe.
      Looks so good.

22. Anita
      September 13th, 2007 @ 4:20 am

It’s true – you can shred carrots in a food processor! LOL

And you like this thoran because…the carrot is not cooked to death! Love the barely cruncy textures of all thorans. You Keralites (and other South Indian too, before I get the brickbats) know how to cook them vegetables.

Kashmiries like their meat medium but the vegetables well done!

23. Deepa Krishnan
      September 13th, 2007 @ 3:37 pm

Awesome photos. And I do mean awesome. I’m afraid to read the blog, cause you’re making me want to cook, cook, cook…and I’m vegetarian, damn it!

24. Mansi Desai
      September 13th, 2007 @ 4:50 pm

Hmm..we make something similar with carrots and sometimes with papaya..it tastes great with snacks like “ganthiya”:)

btw, where do you work Sig?? B’coz I have friends there:) in Seattle…

25. skn
      September 13th, 2007 @ 6:20 pm

Here is a wonderful tricolor thoran that can’t go wrong – made with diced carrot, potato and french beans.

September 14th, 2007 @ 1:35 am

Sig, I use to have a intense dislike for carrots too till a few years ago, cooked this way and mixed with rice becomes carrot rice and that I don’t mind.

27. Sharmi
      September 14th, 2007 @ 7:47 pm

what a way to present thoran. looks yummy. I always love my veggies the kerala thoran way.

28. Lissie
      September 15th, 2007 @ 3:35 pm

beautiful picture of pyramid carrot thoran! you also have very good pork recipes!!
      please do drop into my site..

September 15th, 2007 @ 4:21 pm

Bee, lol.. hmm… that makes a lot of sense… we look kind of similar too… :D

viji, thanks

Sra, here goes, open the closet, take out the food processor, wash the jars, I’m sure it is dusty, pop in the carrots, plug it in, switch it on, voila! :) ok, I’ve no idea what food processor you have, there is a mixer attachment? So, RTFM :)

Musie, :) I don’t hate carrots per se, only when they go soft ;)

Raaga>, you too… yeah I am okay with them in pulao, if it is diced small enough :)

rachna :) thanks a heap… lol.. good one

roopa, palya as upma, that is healthy habit for your kids :)

nags, how can we call ourselves mallus without a certian required number of thoran recipes in the blog? :)

Padmaja, u are a carrot lover… so you will love this thoran too…

Meeta :) yeah my mom made me eat a lot of veggies and greens this time.. just need to keep up with the habit.

Padma, yeah… glad to meet at least one person who never thought of this… I knew someone was out there :D

happy cook. :) I am with you there girl… I never take out the food processor for small jobs because of the exact same reason… all those jars and blades, who’s got the time!!!

Asha, yeah I’m finding similarites between palya and thoran too.. should’ve sent this to you for RCI if I knew before ;)

Rajitha lol…bunnies are pretty tasty, so yeah you chose well, stay human :D

Richa, one trick I learned from mom, whenever there is any left over veggie in the fridge that won’t be enough for a single dish, she throws them into something else.. I’d have never thought of bell pepper in a carrot thoran!! I will try the fennel tadka sometime… :)

Shn…, lol CCHC, cooked carrots haters club, here we come… :) yeah bell pepper was a tasty addition, I haven’t tried it in any other thoran yet.

Gini, wow, thats an art I never mastered… :D , I can’t leave without my cutting board!

Vanita, welcome to my blog… I’ll be dropping by to check yours out today… :)

tbc, carrot and beetroot mix, that sounds great, will be a great color too I guess!

Cyn... :) another member for CCHC

pravs, :) simpler than this? :) anyway try this, it was great!

Anita, :) that could be one reason… yeah i guess our thorans and stir fries treat the veggies the right way… :)

deepa, lol… welcome to my blog… :)

mansi, :) Where do your friends work in Seattle? We might all be working for the same company…. ;)

skn, that sounds like a delicious combo… :) thanks

Indo, carrot rice… I have never had that, I’ll reserve my comments till I actually try it ;)

Sharmi, so you make thorans too.. yeah most veggies taste good in a thoran, I guess all that coconut does the trick ;)

Lissie, thanks :)

30. mallurecipes
      September 15th, 2007 @ 4:49 pm

love the pyramid thoran and the color….

31. SteamyKitchen
      September 20th, 2007 @ 12:04 pm

ok. you’re officially my fav food blog of the week…i need to come back later today when i have more time…LOVE all the flavors you have going on in all your recipes.

32. berril
      September 12th, 2008 @ 3:14 pm

hi! i followed your carrots thoran recipe and it came out fantastic!! so tasty!! thank you so much for sharing this with us!

33. Deepa
      December 20th, 2010 @ 5:52 am

Tried it and loved this version of carrot thoran..I’ve put a picture in my blog

34. Indu
      November 29th, 2011 @ 9:59 am

Thanks a ton for this recipe.
      Finally, I was able to prepare a carron thoran , which tastes similar to my mom’s.

Great work !