• Blackberry Mojito

Posted on | May 5, 2007 | 34 Comments |

Mojito (pronounced moe-hee-toe) is Cuba’s most famous cocktail, and is supposedly one of Earnest Hemingway’s favorite tipples. The name Mojito is rumored to be derived from the word “Mojo” – remember Austin Powers? This refreshingly tasty drink in its purest form is made of five basic ingredients – rum, mint leaves, lime juice, sugar and club soda. You can make umpteen variations of this by adding any fruits of your desire. I will share the tried and tested recipe for a classic Mojito and a variation using blackberries.

Mojito is a drink that can really be messed up if you don’t know what you are doing! Once I ordered a Mojito at a bar, the bartender told me he had never made it before, but he would love to try! I should have backed out at that moment, but no, I had to say, bring it on! Right in front of my eyes, he crushed the mint leaves and added sprite and rum and sugar and mixed it up with a stirrer! And the worst part was he waited for me to take a sip and let him know if it tasted like a Mojito! I was too nice to say No, and ended up gulping it down. After that I never order Mojitos unless it is in the menu, I ain’t gonna be a guinea pig to nobody!

The mint leaves need to be muddled to release the flavor. Mixing this drink itself is a great experience, the smell of the crushed mint leaves will leave you slightly intoxicated!

Classic Mojito

(Serves two)

• 16 mint leaves
    • 1 key lime (Mexican lime) cut into 8 pieces (or use 1/2 a regular lime)
    • 1 tbsp sugar
    • 3 oz white rum
    • club soda
    • crushed ice

In a pitcher, place the mint leaves, lime pieces and sugar and muddle well. Add the rum and stir well to combine.  Fill highball glasses with crushed ice and strain the drink into the glasses. Top it with club soda. Garnish with lime wedges and mint leaves.

Blackberry Mojito

(Serves two)

• 16 mint leaves
    • 12 fresh blackberries
    • 1 tsp sugar
    • 3 oz Baccardi razz (any white rum will do)
    • 1 oz lime juice
    • club soda
    • crushed ice

In a pitcher, place the mint leaves, blackberries and sugar and muddle well. Add the rum and lime juice and stir well to combine.  Fill highball glasses with crushed ice and strain the drink into the glasses. Top it with club soda. Garnish with mint leaves and blackberries.

Check out other cocktails on my blog.

I am taking this refreshingly cooling drink to Meeta’s Monthly Mingle. This month’s theme is Spring is in the Air!, nothing says spring better than fresh berries, and someone’s gotta bring the booze for the party right?

Technorati tags: , ,

Category: Berries, Cocktails

Happy New Year 2012 with a Bubbly!

Happy New Year 2012 with a Bubbly!

December 31st, 2011

Here's wishing all of you a wonderful 2012! It was a great 2011 and I think 2012 is going to be [...]

Passion Fruit Mintini and 4th of July Cocktail Ideas

Passion Fruit Mintini and 4th of July Cocktail Ideas

July 2nd, 2009

Wishing all my US readers a Happy 4th of July weekend! If you are planning a party this weekend or j[...]

Mango Margarita and Extended Deadline for MBP

Mango Margarita and Extended Deadline for MBP

March 23rd, 2008

I am going to be on a break from tomorrow, will be back online end of this week. Since I won't be ab[...]

Gitatini – A Ginger Tamarind Cocktail

Gitatini - A Ginger Tamarind Cocktail

November 22nd, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I forgot the last time we were in town for Thanksgiving and Black Frida[...]

Peach Margarita

Peach Margarita

October 20th, 2007

It's been a busy week. Siv was in Dallas the whole week, and got back Thursday evening. Seattle had [...]

Comments

34 Responses to “Blackberry Mojito”

1. DEEPA
      May 5th, 2007 @ 11:45 pm

Great Drink …Hvae to try this out for sure ….too good

2. sushma
      May 5th, 2007 @ 11:53 pm

The drink looks really refreshing and what a lovely picture.

Also, I am hosting a Monthly cooking Tipology event to share the wisdom and cooking tips learned from our mothers, hope you would participate

Sushma

3. TheCooker
      May 6th, 2007 @ 12:33 am

Sprite in a mojito? Is that even legal.
      Yours look wonderful. I’m certainly going to give it a try.
      -TC

4. sunshine
      May 6th, 2007 @ 2:31 am

Your blog is a treat for the eyes, and good “food” for thought. hehe. It’d be nice to meet you in person someday,

5. Deborah Dowd
      May 6th, 2007 @ 2:32 am

This looks so delicious1 Summer is a great time for drinks – I guess to go will all that barbecued meat!

6. Shantanu
      May 6th, 2007 @ 3:04 am

Interesting variation. The classic one is one of my fav three cocktails (the others being the martini and Long Island Iced Tea). Great blog!

7. Anonymous
      May 6th, 2007 @ 4:33 am

Mojito is my alltime fav cocktail and your version is exotic like everything you do!
      Muah!
      Nandita

8. E
      May 6th, 2007 @ 4:53 am

I gasped when I saw the photo of this drink, it looks so delicious.

9. bee
      May 6th, 2007 @ 5:02 am

ooh lala. i don’t like rum, but this i will like.

10. Roopa
      May 6th, 2007 @ 6:01 am

looking great and refreshing!

11. Sandeepa
      May 6th, 2007 @ 6:23 am

Oooooh…you sure spike up the party don’t you :)
      Never tried Mojito, restrict myself to wine mostly…burhe ho gaye yaar :)

12. Reena
      May 6th, 2007 @ 6:32 am

sig, can i come to the party? i love mojito. but never tried one with blackberries. it is looking so refreshing esp. at this hour. we must have a cocktail event:).

May 6th, 2007 @ 7:32 am

i am those no-alcohol types ;) but your creations tempt a lot :) ). The pic looks wow, totally cool and refreshing. Is there a lighter substitute for rum :) .

14. Richa
      May 6th, 2007 @ 1:05 pm

sig, ur drink Rocks! how do you take such gorgeous pics :)
      BTW i was expecting you to spend the eve with tequila in hand, it being cinco de mayo and all ;-)
      enjoy ur wknd sweetie :)

15. Pravs
      May 6th, 2007 @ 3:39 pm

That drink looks awesome … it’s so hot here today..please pass that tall glass for me :D

16. Priya
      May 6th, 2007 @ 3:39 pm

I am a teetotaler, but your cocktail creations are too tempting to ignore !

May 6th, 2007 @ 6:28 pm

A bartender who never made a Mojito? Where were you – Timbuktoo? This one looks incredible though and I am glad one person thought about the booze for the mingle. LOL!

May 6th, 2007 @ 7:43 pm

Deepa, thanks. hope you try!

Sushma, thanks for letting me know about the tipology event. I’ll think up of something.

Cooker, LOL, I’m sure it is illegal in some countries. Welcome to my blog BTW

Sunshine, Lol, I don’t about food for “thought”, I get more of that from your blog. :) . I’d love to meet you too sometime.

Deborah , thanks and welcome! Yeah, bbq meat and margaritas… gotta love summer!

May 6th, 2007 @ 7:51 pm

Shantanu, welcome! I prefer some of the modified versions to the classic. Long Island Tea, yummm but so potent!

Nandita :) Yes, I remember your mojito post.

e, :) thanks. I have to give credit to the wonderful color of the blackberries!

Bee, this one is for you girl… You won’t taste the rum in this, I promise.

Roopa, Thanks!

20. Little Foodie
      May 6th, 2007 @ 8:00 pm

I love mojitos and this version looks kind of addictive. Love the halibut recipe too. Amanda

May 6th, 2007 @ 8:00 pm

Sandeepa, Lol, whats a party without some alcohol! :) . You know wine makes me more sloshed than cocktails somehow…

Reena, you are welcome for sure… You are bringing your peach meba right, with champagne of course. :) . Yeah a blog event for cocktails will be awesome.

Musie a lighter substiture for rum, mmm… there are light rums… or there is always water :D . Seriously, reduce the amount of rum, and increase the club soda, bet you’d like it.

Richa, lol.. this one is from last weekend actually… we didn’t do any cinco de mayo drinks this weekend, had some friends over and made a different mojito and sangria, I will post soon, didn’t want to do cocktail overdose. Hope you had some nice tequila though! :)

May 6th, 2007 @ 8:04 pm

Pravs, :) good for you… enjoy the heat, don’t be lazy and make some mojitos :D

Priya, thanks :)

Meeta, lol I wish I was in Timbuktoo :) … but this was Vancouver BC and it was a hotel bar, may be his first day.

Amanda, yeah these ones are addictive. :) welcome to my blog!

23. USHA
      May 7th, 2007 @ 2:00 am

Hi Sig,

Drink looks cool and gr8..Love to havein this hotdays….

24. Sheela
      May 7th, 2007 @ 2:48 am

Wow, Sig! I love mojitos and yours look very refreshing and summer-y.. nice presentation!
      p.s: thanks for stopping by, and yes, the flowers are from my garden – spring is just gorgeous with all the perennials blooming again, if I can ignore the rain/hail storms we’ve been having lately :)

May 10th, 2007 @ 12:22 am

Oh yeah! Another Mojito! Let the party begin!

26. Anonymous
      September 10th, 2007 @ 7:04 pm

My classic mojito recipe is similar – except with gold rum and – very important – brown sugar. I also only use lime juice instead of whole lime pieces since muddling the lime releases the very potent zest which is more apt for a classic caipirinha. Also garnish with a couple stalks of sugar cane for coolness.

Besides that I just discovered your website and I am in love!! Thank you so much for the Indian recipes. Keep up the great work!!

27. TenTenTwo.com
      April 22nd, 2008 @ 12:57 pm

Some really good cocktail recipes at TenTenTwo.com

28. chandra
      October 30th, 2008 @ 1:12 pm

nice recipe…but on another note…you need better lighting for your photographs…

29. Garcinia Cambogia Extract Reviews
      August 8th, 2013 @ 11:55 am

The surveys gave credence to the Navy, U.