• L is for Limeade with Blood Orange Juice

Posted on | April 14, 2007 | 25 Comments |

Spring is in the air! Suddenly there is a whole new variety of fruits and vegetables in the grocery stores. One fruit I look forward to in spring is Blood Orange – a variety of orange with dark red flesh. The juice is sweeter than regular oranges since the fruit is less acidic and it tastes a bit like raspberries mixed with oranges. Blood Oranges are full of antioxidants and are excellent sources of Vitamin C. The juice is normally used in a variety of cocktails, and also blood orange reduction (made by boiling the juice to reduce the liquid, thus intensifying the flavor) is used in a variety of red meat and dessert recipes. Learn more about Blood Oranges here.

I picked up some blood oranges on my last grocery run thinking of making a blood orange margarita. After juicing one I realized that I would need a lot more oranges than the measly three I had, to make two glasses of Margarita! I didn’t want to waste the juice, so decided to use it to kick up a virgin limeade (akin to lemonade, but with lime) instead.  The result was a sweet citrusy drink with a beautiful dark pink color.

• Juice from 1 lime
    • Juice from 1 blood orange
    • 2 tbsp mint infused sugar syrup (or sugar to taste)
    • 1 tsp honey (optional)
    • a pinch of salt
    • Ice
    • 1 cup water

Combine all the ingredients, stir to mix. Strain into a glass, garnish with a lime wedge.

Delicious limeade for a hot summer day ready!

Fun Fact about Lime:

In order to prevent scurvy during the 19th century, British sailors were issued a daily allowance of citrus such as lime (presumably Citrus aurantifolia), which led in
    time to the nickname “limey” for all Britons. It was later discovered that this beneficial effect derived from the quantities of Vitamin C the fruit contains.

This is my entry for letter “L” for A to Z of Indian Vegetables event hosted by Nupur of One Hot Stove. Check One Hot Stove on Sunday for the complete L round-up.

Technorati tags: ,
    Category: Mocktails, Oranges and Kumquats, Recipes

Orange Honey Mustard  Salad Dressing

Orange Honey Mustard Salad Dressing

September 30th, 2009

When someone tells me that they don’t like salads, I always think that they might be using the wro[...]

No thumbnail available

Frozen Watermelon Daiquiri with Ginger-Star Anise Infusion

July 25th, 2007

A daiquiri [daiki'ɾi] by definition is a mixed drink made with rum and lime juice. This Cuban drink[...]

No thumbnail available

Chicken Dilruba

July 24th, 2007

I am ashamed to admit this, but when it comes to the myriad cuisines of India, I am more or less ign[...]

No thumbnail available

Date and Pecan Pudding

July 11th, 2007

A couple of months ago I picked up some (read, a lot) dates just because it was on sale! Normally th[...]

No thumbnail available

Orange Blueberry Granita with a Hint of Ginger

June 26th, 2007

Isn't it great when you set out to make one dish and it gets messed up, but you realize that your me[...]

Comments

25 Responses to “L is for Limeade with Blood Orange Juice”

1. Pravs
      April 15th, 2007 @ 12:56 am

Yum !! gosh sig, you are an expert. Never tried blood orange. Reading about it now i will give it a try.

2. Mishmash !
      April 15th, 2007 @ 1:17 am

SIg, I really dont know if it’s the place to post a comment like this….
      Vishu Aasamsakal to u and Siv :) Enjoy the festivities.

Shn

April 15th, 2007 @ 1:21 am

Pravs, expert is too strong… :) . You should try blood orange, it is very tasty and the color is too cool.

Shn, of course you can post that comment anywhere you like. :) . Vishu Asamsakal to you too sweety..

4. Lera
      April 15th, 2007 @ 1:31 am

Sig, This one is a show stealer…It’s stunning!

5. Rachel
      April 15th, 2007 @ 2:26 am

yum! we just made blood orange syrup and that was so good!

6. E
      April 15th, 2007 @ 2:32 am

Yum! That looks so delicious. Just the thought of mint infused sugar syrup makes me thirsty.

7. Sharmi
      April 15th, 2007 @ 4:57 am

dear Sig, happy vishu to you and ur family!!

8. KitchenFairy
      April 15th, 2007 @ 5:23 am

Happy vishu to U and Ur Siv!
      Here Summer started and ur pic gives me little cool effect

April 15th, 2007 @ 7:26 am

Lera, thanks :)

Rachel, blood orange syrup sounds yummy!!

E, thanks… yep, the mint infused syrup is very yummy, I’ve been adding it to everything! :)

Sharmi, thanks so much for your wishes!

Hey KF, thanks, Happy Vishu to you too!

10. Richa
      April 15th, 2007 @ 2:40 pm

hey sig, don’t know why, but till now I have stayed away from blood orange, time to give it a try I guess, color looks so pretty.
      The mint infused syrup sure will ‘kick it up a notch’.

11. Paddukoti
      April 15th, 2007 @ 4:24 pm

hey sig,
      never heard of this blood orange, need to go and find in the supermarkets now and try u’r recipe.Nice recipe!!

12. Jason
      April 15th, 2007 @ 7:46 pm

When you’re in the mood to make a cocktail again, try this:

(Photo toward the end of the page. I used about 5 blood oranges, 3 ounces of gin, 1 ounce of vermouth, bitters, and some tonic water… meant for two, but you could probably be extremely indulgent if you wanted to).

13. Manisha
      April 15th, 2007 @ 8:50 pm

Sig, we need to add vodka to this right away!!

14. Sandeepa
      April 15th, 2007 @ 8:55 pm

Sig you are an amazing Drink Expert. The colours are so beautiful in all your drinks..makes me thirsty

April 16th, 2007 @ 12:35 am

Richa and Padmaja, give blood orange a try, I’m sure you’ll like it.

Jason, that sounds like an intersting combo, will definitely try. Your drink looks very pretty. More than the taste, I love the color of blood orange mixed drinks…

Manisha, of course, replace the 1 cup of water with 1 cup vodka ;)

Sandeepa, :) I’m no way near an expert when it comes to drinks, I love to try different combos, some work, some don’t. :)

April 16th, 2007 @ 2:13 am

Sig, great one-colorful and totally my kind of taste :) and even though i am repeating myself, i would still say: Lovely pic!

something that 14 years would be allowed to drink ;)

17. Sushma
      April 16th, 2007 @ 3:58 am

You are the Queen of drinks…so many lovely varieties…Blood orange juice looks delicious..

April 16th, 2007 @ 5:05 am

A lovely refreshing drink Sig! Just perfect for warm springy evenings!

April 16th, 2007 @ 6:50 am

Musical, Sushma, Meeta, thank you very much, lovely ladies… :)

20. Vee
      April 16th, 2007 @ 2:20 pm

Sig,

Do I need to tell you how glad I am that you decied to post a ‘virgin’ limeade??
      I love blood oranges, actually I like oranges in any form.
      Beautiful color!

April 16th, 2007 @ 2:32 pm

Vee, I learned very recently about the legal drinking age of our state, boy, was I surprized!!!! Need to drink a lot of virgin drinks to make up for those seven years of illegal drinking!!! ;) .

Glad to see you here dear..

22. reena
      April 16th, 2007 @ 4:02 pm

siggy, stunning drink. did you try it on your sofa;);):))

23. Jaqualia
      September 21st, 2010 @ 1:07 am

Hey, that is a good post. Really enjoyed reading this. Thanks

24. Fred
      July 12th, 2012 @ 8:01 pm

Cool “limey” fact! Blood oranges are still fresh here and it’s late summer now. http://www.marthastewart.com/343888/blood-orange-cheesecake

25. ugg clearance
      November 13th, 2012 @ 10:40 pm

wanne buy to buy Women’s UGG Coquette Slipper Pink clearance ,it`s Women’s UGG Coquette Slipper Pink Color: Pink The natural insulative properties of sheepskin gives thermostatic properties to the boots. The thick fleecy fibers on the inner part of the boots allow air to circulate and keep the feet at body temperature. The fleece draws away moisture, keeping the feet dry and at body temperature. This means that ugg boots can be worn without socks even in relatively cold weather. at uggs clearance.