• H is for Hara Bhara Cutlets

Posted on | March 18, 2007 | 19 Comments |

When I invite friends home, normally there is one vegetarian among ten hardcore non vegetarians.  Since the only vegetarian in the group is my best friend, she gets to make a personal request, and she always ask for my spinach cutlets. It is a very easy recipe, and the patties can be made a day in advance, so I’m more than happy to oblige. These cutlets are so yummy, even the hardcore carnivores hog these, I always end up making enough for the whole group in addition to the countless non-veg dishes we cook for any party.

I’ve been raking my brain to come up with an Indian veg dish that starts with H for Nupur’s A to Z of Indian Vegetables event, and  had almost given up when I saw Asha’s HARA PYAZWALI GOJJU WITH RICE ROTI. I borrowed her idea, (thanks Asha :-) ) and decided to make something green. Today is St. Patrick’s day , so it is all the more appropriate to make a green dish, don’t you think? So I re-christened my spinach cutlets to Hara Bhara Cutlets and this is my contribution for the “A to Z of Indian Vegetables” event.

• 1 cup  frozen chopped Spinach
    • 1/2 cup frozen peas
    • 1/2 cup frozen french cut beans
    • 1/2 cup chopped onions
    • 2 green chilies finely chopped
    • 2″ ginger grated
    • 1 large potato
    • 1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
    • 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
    • 1/4 tsp garam masala
    • 1 tsp red chillie powder
    • 1 tsp coriander powder
    • A few curry leaves finely chopped
    • Salt to taste
    • Oil

Defrost the frozen spinach in the microwave to break up the chunk.

Boil the potato, skin and keep aside to cool.

Heat 1 tbsp oil in a shallow pan, and fry the chopped onions. When the onions starts to brown, reduce the heat and add the salt, turmeric powder, garam masala, chillie powder and coriander powder and saute till all the spices are cooked. Add all the vegetables to the pan, increase the heat and cook till all the moisture is completely gone.

After the vegetables and the potato is cooled down enough to handle, mix the two together using your hand. if the mixture is too wet and soft, add some breadcrumbs till the mixture is strong enough to be held together on its own. Divide the potato-vegetable mixture into equal sized globes, and flatten with the palm to make patties.

Dip the patties in bread crumb, and shallow fry till they start to brown.

Serve with ketchup and hot sauce.

Category: Appetizers and Snacks, Potato, Recipes, Vegetarian

Roasted Zucchini Salad with a Dill-Garlic-Mayo Dressing

Roasted Zucchini Salad with a Dill-Garlic-Mayo Dressing

September 24th, 2010

Zucchini is a vegetable that I don’t have strong feelings about, neither a fan, nor a hater. Bu[...]

Spicy Eggplant Raita

Spicy Eggplant Raita

September 22nd, 2010

Anybody who has had any kind of exposure to Indian cuisine must be familiar with the term Raita. R[...]

Sautéed Romanesco Cauliflower with Pine Nuts and Garlic

Sautéed Romanesco Cauliflower with Pine Nuts and Garlic

September 21st, 2010

As promised, I am continuing the SBD friendly vegetarian sides series with a simple sautéed veg[...]

Kidney Beans and Chard in Coconut Milk

Kidney Beans and Chard in Coconut Milk

September 19th, 2010

A lot of people I know are under the assumption that dieting is all about sacrificing good food an[...]

Nutty Chicken Wings

Nutty Chicken Wings

July 21st, 2010

I have been staring at this picture for a few days now, just couldn’t come up with a better na[...]

Comments

19 Responses to “H is for Hara Bhara Cutlets”

1. bee (jugalbandi.info)
      March 18th, 2007 @ 5:12 am

gorgeous.

2. Nandita
      March 18th, 2007 @ 7:17 am

You’ve started cooking more than ever babes and that too some seriously yummy looking food!! Hope all is well with you…Hahaha – And I always like it when someone is considerate to US vegetarians :P

Catch you on chat soon!

March 18th, 2007 @ 7:39 am

Thanks Bee.

Nandita, it is true, I’m cooking a lot more these days, blogging is saving me some serious money. :-) . I just looked for you in chat, but you are offline. I’ve been wasting my Saturday nite away, Lychee Martini recipe coming soon.

4. Paddukoti
      March 18th, 2007 @ 12:07 pm

i love these cutlets, my friend used to make them whenever we went to her place but never tried them though!!hey Sig i am gonna make them very soon!!

5. Richa
      March 18th, 2007 @ 3:11 pm

looks so tempting, a must try. wanna’ ship some over to nj :-)

6. Mishmash !
      March 18th, 2007 @ 6:15 pm

“When I invite friends home, normally there is one vegetarian among ten hardcore non vegetarians.” hmm..I understand that perfectly well and can imagine all that extra work too :) but ever since I started exploring the blogosphere, I ve started learning more veggie dishes to make my life easier :) Ur pictures, esplecially that of the previous restaurant review, are very good :)

Shn

7. Susan
      March 19th, 2007 @ 12:35 am

Hmmm…I’m a vegetarian, and I’m a food blogger friend of yours, so… May I please have one of your delicious spinach cutlets? :)

March 19th, 2007 @ 2:29 am

thanks gals, really appreciate the kind words.

9. sunita's world
      March 19th, 2007 @ 11:15 am

Hey Sig, the cutlets look amazing…I love dishes with lots of veggies…could do with some of your’s, what with the miserable weather we’ve been having since last night…would brighten things up a bit…

10. Sia's corner
      March 19th, 2007 @ 5:32 pm

love love love this kabab. what a gr8 pic sig.

11. Anita
      March 19th, 2007 @ 6:36 pm

Wow! These are stunners!

March 29th, 2007 @ 8:20 pm

These look wow, and are gonna’ be tried out today! no jokes.

13. Inji Pennu
      May 1st, 2007 @ 11:42 pm

This is one difficulty I too face.
      When I make stuff exclusively for one or two vegans, I have to make the same for nonvegans too. Those shameless nonvegans munch on the vegan exclusive dishes too..hehehe

Nice recipe. Should try soon.

14. Mansi
      October 10th, 2007 @ 9:46 pm

Hmmm…these look attractive Sig…I generally make parathas with the same ingredients, but next time I’ll try these cutlets:)

15. Ranjani
      May 5th, 2008 @ 6:26 am

That looks scrumptious!

16. Meena
      December 31st, 2008 @ 12:14 pm

Hey Sig,
      I love everything on your blog..food, presentation and most of all your writeup. I have been naughty and not commented till now. On new year’s eve, thought I will break my silence. I love your hara bhara kababs. Made them a couple of times for parties and has been a major hit.. Thanks for all the lovely recipes and writeups. Happy New Year!

January 2nd, 2009 @ 12:50 pm

Hi Meena, thanks for the sweet words, and for de-lurking… :) Hope to see you and hear from you more often… :) Happy New Year to you and yours!!

17. Swarna
      March 10th, 2009 @ 12:59 pm

I love love love your blog…since I am a vegetarian I try only your vegetarian recipes and guess what ????
      they are yum…I prepared this for a get together and got rave reviews….thanks Sig…keep up the good work!!!!