• Bloody Mary Dipping Sauce

Posted on | March 30, 2007 | 18 Comments |

I am not a big Bloody Mary fan, I like the taste, but don’t really like to drink a glass full of it. So when I saw Rachael Ray whipping up a Bloody Mary dipping sauce on Food Network for Halloween, I had to try and recreate it at home. After several tries, I got one mix that I really liked. This makes a great dipping sauce for Shrimp instead of regular cocktail sauce.

• 1 finely chopped shallot
    • 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
    • 2 tbsp hot Tabasco sauce
    • 1 cup canned tomato sauce
    • 1 tsp horseradish
    • 1 tbsp garlic powder
    • 1 tbsp cayenne powder
    • 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
    • 1/2 cup vodka (optional)
    • salt for taste
    • 1/2 tbsp ground black pepper
    • 1 tbsp olive oil

Heat oil in a saucepan. Add chopped shallots and saute till the shallots turn soft. Add vodka and reduce by about half quantity. Add all the sauces, horseradish and the spices. Stir well to combine and let the sauce boil. When it starts to bubble stir well and season with salt and pepper. Let it cool down to room temperature.

Serving Suggestion

Cut out a small portion from the top of a firm round tomato of desired size, so that it looks like a cup. Clean the inside by removing the flesh and seeds from inside.  ( I normally chop up the top part and the inside of the tomato and use it in the sauce while cooking.) Pour the Bloody Mary sauce to fill about 3/4th of the tomato. Arrange cooked shrimp inside the tomato as shown in the picture. Squeeze a lime on the shrimp and season with salt and pepper.

A bunch of tomatoes filled with shrimp is a very pretty arrangement for a party. The sauce can be prepared a day in advance, and read-to-eat cooked shrimp is available in stores, an easy appetizer course.

This is my entry for JFI – Tomato hosted by RP of My Workshop. Read more about Jihva For Ingredients at Mahanandi.

The Salad Cup

The tomato I used for the bowl is a hybrid variety called Dulcinea™ Rosso Bruno™.  It is available in all the organic grocers at least in Seattle. These are very tasty tomatoes and are excellent in salad. More info here: http://www.dulcinea.com/rosso_bruno_faq.html .

Category: American, Chutneys and Dips and Pickles, Recipes, Shrimp or Prawn, Tomato

Pan Seared Shrimp with Garam Masala Garlic Lemon Butter

Pan Seared Shrimp with Garam Masala Garlic Lemon Butter

January 30th, 2011

Lately I've been making a lot of quick fix dinners which take less than 30 minutes to prepare, b[...]

Grilled Scampi with Lemon-Garlic-Shallot-Oregano Butter

Grilled Scampi with Lemon-Garlic-Shallot-Oregano Butter

February 14th, 2010

Hope everyone had a great Valentine's day. Ours was pretty low key on the day itself, though we [...]

Garlic Spears – 3 Ways

Garlic Spears - 3 Ways

June 16th, 2009

Garlic spears are the flowery tops of the elephant garlic plant. Look how pretty they are! R[...]

Fennel, Fava Beans and Egg Salad with Tomato Basil Vinaigrette

Fennel, Fava Beans and Egg Salad with Tomato Basil Vinaigrette

May 17th, 2009

We had one of those Seattle weekends, the perfect kind that makes us forget all about the lousy weat[...]

Roasted Salmon with Piquillo Pepper – Walnut Pesto and Sauteed Broccoli Rabe

Roasted Salmon with Piquillo Pepper - Walnut Pesto and Sauteed Broccoli Rabe

January 4th, 2009

It seems like we've been eating a lot of salmon lately. Well, why not? Salmon is a very healthy opti[...]

Comments

18 Responses to “Bloody Mary Dipping Sauce”

1. Nandita
      March 30th, 2007 @ 5:23 am

I’m starting to label your blog as…Forget it, just do mouse-over your blog on my links…hahaha

I didn’t even realise that the cup was a tomato until I read it in serving suggestion….looks YUM babe and I’m up for anything with vodka..so please don’t make it OPTIONAL :)

Actually having a big sudden party at home…am getting some ideas from this, no shrimp though ;)

March 30th, 2007 @ 5:49 am

Lol, I had to go and check it immediately… :) .

And you know what, only after reading your comment about the blog events that I realized I’ve been only cooking for events recently!! :D

Hey, you know what, you can serve some assorted cruidtes arranged in the tomato with the dipping sauce too. Carrot sticks, celery etc..

3. Freya and Paul
      March 30th, 2007 @ 6:41 am

Sig, I love the tomato as your little cup! It looks so cute (although I would need more prawns, say another 5 cupfuls?)!

4. Paddukoti
      March 30th, 2007 @ 9:38 am

hey sig

woh!!! i didn’t notice u’r tomato until i saw u’r recipe!!
      it looks amazing sig!!!
      wonderful!!

5. Richa
      March 30th, 2007 @ 11:56 am

a piece of advice from a “novice” photographer ;-)
      time to change your profession, get into photography, i mean seriously ur pics look too good!

6. Rachel
      March 30th, 2007 @ 12:00 pm

What a cute idea!

March 30th, 2007 @ 12:58 pm

Gorgeous photo Sig!! Very very nice cup and I love Bloody Mary the drink!;D
      Recipe for dip sounds great,she is good,isn’t she?
      Enjoy and have a great weekend:)

March 30th, 2007 @ 2:34 pm

@Freya, me too, I only showed one cup in the picture, but I made plenty. :)

@Padmaja, I was trying to showcase the tomato, since this is for JFI and all, but guess I should have used a regular red tomato for that. :-)

@Richa, :D You crack me up… I am just trying to imagine how my life will be if I did it for a profession. For each recipe I take about 40 pictures, then spend almost an hour on the PC ,cutting and cropping and rotating and what not trying to figure out which one looks best.It is very frustrating, that is why I don’t even attempt to take step-by-step pictures.

@Rachel :) I was trying to give tomato a prominent place in the recipe, and thats how the idea came along.

@Asha, thanks and have a great weekend…see you next week, unless you fall off the wagon this weekend ;)

9. Nupur
      March 30th, 2007 @ 3:42 pm

Bloody Mary…I love the cocktail, and love the idea of a bloody Mary dipping sauce too…thanks for sharing!

10. Archana
      March 30th, 2007 @ 4:15 pm

I thought the tomato was fake. :)

What type of tomato is it? How did you get it cut so cleanly? Maybe its time I invested in new knives.

I love Bloody Marys. For some reason I have taken to drinking these on flights recently. Oh wait. I have twins. That might explain it. :)

11. trupti
      March 30th, 2007 @ 5:32 pm

Wow..what a perfect dipping sauce…I like the Cocktail Samosas..I can serve those with this sauce…what do you say?

March 31st, 2007 @ 12:55 am

@Nupur thanks. BTW, I didn’t get time to do a J, and I have nothing to make a J with, so no A-Z for me this time :(

@Archana, those are called Rosso Bruno tomatoes, I’ve updated the post with a link to more info. It is available in Whole Foods and Metropolitan Market. Go to whole foods, it is cheaper than met. Very tasty, excellent in salads. And yeah, knife really matters, I have a Wusthof chefs knife, just one expensive one,which is awesome, totally worth the price.

@Trupti, that is a great idea, it should go nicely with samosas, it is spicy and sweet and sour, so must be good.

13. Pravs
      March 31st, 2007 @ 1:27 pm

Great appetizer for a party. Interesting to see a hybrid tomato.

14. LERA
      April 1st, 2007 @ 2:04 am

Wow! The picture is so perfect..

15. Sandeepa
      April 9th, 2007 @ 12:50 pm

The prawns literally dipping…great pic

16. wusthof set
      July 2nd, 2010 @ 2:23 am

Just thought i would comment and say neat theme, did you code it yourself? Looksperfect.

17. smart internet TV
      June 26th, 2012 @ 10:23 pm

We stumbled over here different web page and thought I should check things out.
      I like what I see so now i am following you. Look
      forward to looking at your web page repeatedly.

18. Hex.io
      January 2nd, 2014 @ 7:53 pm

Ѕince the admin of this web site is working, nno uncertainty ver shortly it will be famous, due to its quality contents.

Have a llook at mmy webpage … ryan gosling Movies